Any ideas on how i can get my 22 month old son to walk instead of me carrying him?

Yesterday my dad and sis took my son for a walk and when they came home, they told me my son walked the entire time!! I couldn't believe it! whenever i try to take him for walks he starts screaming and raising his arms up that he wants up....I would love to go on walks with them but he wont walk like he will for them if i was along....any ideas? Oh, and my 22 month old boy is a 30 pounder so just enjoying it while it last has long since passed lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You need to just let him whine. He needs to walk and I KNOW it's hard to ignore the crying... I carried my dd until she was 19 mos, then found out I had pinched nerves in my neck, back and shoulder from carrying her! Now I have no deltiod muscle and see a physical therapist 2 times a week trying to get my shoulder to move right again...my dd was only 23 lbs and I had no idea this couuld happen!!! Her daddy was deployed for 15 mos (left when she was 8 mos old), and I had no family around me. We sure did move a lot faster with me carrying her, but the more I let her walk beside me the faster she got! It's very important for YOUR health to make him walk!!! Maybe bring a stoller along for longer activities. GL Mama!! He will get to the point of not wanting to be held as long as you stand by "You can walk" or "you don't need to be held!"
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:08 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Quit picking him up...he is manipulating you.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:17 PM on May. 14, 2010

• We just let our son throw a tantrum and when he was done, we start walking again. After while of telling him he will not be carried, he got it. Gotta be firm!
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 3:03 PM on May. 14, 2010

• make him walk. He knows you will carry him thats why he does it! Yeah and he is big . My son was also big and my second child so they walked young. I was amzed how long some keep kids in strollers when my son use to walk.
    Anonymous

• My 20 month old loves to go on walks, but him or I just push the stroller - when he gets tired, he goes in and I can walk faster/get in my exercise at my pace.

Answer by missanc at 4:28 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Don't pick him up. It's that easy.
    Anonymous