what does your almost 3 year old do?

I know all kids grow at different rates but i just want to know what your almost 3 year olds can do?

3 weeks before my child turned 3 she knew how to write her name and all abc how to count in english to 16 and spanish to 10

The child I babysit can't count to 3 or even draw I am worried he is a little behind the mother told me when he was 18 months the docs said he was a little behind but now when she took him to the doc she lies and says he does stuff he can't even do at all...and no he don't do the things she said his grandma that lives with him told me he don't do them things

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son could say his alphabet and count to ten before he turned two.
    He is 3.5 now and can count to 20(most of the time) he remembers lyrics to songs(not just kids songs) and is a little smarty pants with a very good vocabulary and understanding of his feelings and of situations.

He can't write yet though.

How did you teach your daughter to write? That's impressive!
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 1:26 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Some kids are more advanced than others... some have better learning enviroments.

It's great your childs doing that. She's ahead of her age so far... just hope she remembers the stuff still, when she hits school. You're doing a great job teaching her.

As for the other mom... all moms like to up talk their children. Even if it's a lie.. it's fine in this case, does no harm... and its cute that she wants to uptalk her little one too.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 1:27 PM on May. 14, 2010

• All kids progress at different rates. Not very may 3 yr olds can write their name.
    Anonymous

• My son just hit 4. when he was 3... he has FULL conversations perfectly. He counts to 15, both spanish and english. He can write the alphabet using his preschool work books. He knows what his brain is for, how it works with signaling his body to function. He learned this from just explaining it once or twice when he was younger. He knows what happens to his food after he eats it... He can work my laptop completely on his own and knows how to click the internet link to NICKjr.com for games.

Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 1:33 PM on May. 14, 2010

• badSo what if her kids slow... why would it bother you if she felt like bragging about her child????? You obviously brag about yours too.

Anonymous

• I think you should mind your own business. You may think that your child is brilliant for her age but it is a whole other story when they start school. She probably learned those things from repetition but that is not a determining factor for the level of intelligence. Boys & Girls are also very different when it comes to learning. I think it is so rude and classless to inquire and compare publicly your child to another Mothers. There most likely will come a time when your daughter will be slightly behind on some issue. So don't spit in the wind.

Anonymous

• My 3 year old is exactly like Laila-May's son. He says his abcs, colors, counts to 10, sings any toddler song that comes his way, loves to imitate Bob the builder and Barney. He has a great memory, but doesn't know how to write his name or anything!!!! U r doing an execellent job! Good 4 u!
    Anonymous

• My son will be 3 in August. He can count to ten, with the exception of four. He always forgets 4 for some reason. We have to remind him and then he counts on from there.

He can't write anything yet.

He's working on colors and abc's. He was more interested in learning the dinosaur names than either of those things.

Kids develop at their own rates. I'm not about to compare my child to anyone else's. I have two older kids, neither of them could count to 10 or say the abc's or write their name at that age, yet now at 7 and 9, they are both a grade level ahead in math, the 9 year old reads a grade level ahead (after just finally "getting" reading at 8), and both a year ahead in grammar and writing. A late or slow start doesn't always mean something is "wrong" with the child.
    Anonymous

• OP i hate when people say its not my bussiness OMG i am just worried for the child If something is wrong and they get him help early its better I am not just being mean saying he is behind and If they told the doc the truth then the doc could give advice on how to help him and differnt ways of teaching him the child i watch i cant even ask him "do you want a snack" "do you wanna go outside" because he shakes his head yes to eat then when i put him at the table he cried like he don't want to eat if were outside and i ask do you wanna go in he shakes his head yes then screams time we get in
    Anonymous

• Part of his Doctors visit at 3 years old is Developmental Testing along with Ear and Eye Function. Believe me, The Doctor would know better than anyone of there is a problem and will have discussed it with the Mother. He may very well have a problem but if his Mother is reluctant (unwilling) to discuss it with you, which seems to be the case, you should mind your own business. You are there to babysit him and not be his Mother. If you are getting paid for it watch out because if you push this issue, you may be looking for another job sooner than you think. Maybe he misses his Mother and is just giving YOU a hard time.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:19 PM on May. 14, 2010