navigating the WIC maze

i'll be honest, I'm sooo confused, and sorta pissed! They change the WIC checks in my state like, every other month. Almost every time I go I get told that w/e I got wasn't available with WIC and I have to trade it out. I can't even BUY white grape juice at Walmart cuz they don't carry any of the brands that are acceptable.

On top of that, they just added Juicy Juice, which has TONS of sugar in it. A lot of plastic bottled juices do more harm than good... and I'm not allowed to request anything else. It's either that, or nothing! Tomato juice maybe,but my family won't drink that. Anyone else fed up with the WIC system?! I wanna pull my hair out!!!

livn4hevn

Asked by livn4hevn at 1:26 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I don't have any stores in my state that have signs that say WIC approved next to approved items...so I dunno what you're talking about anon....and WIC is getting more and more complicated...sure I'm grateful for it...but it's still a pain in the butt sometimes.
    Anonymous

• shouldn't you just be grateful that you are receiving free food from the government

Anonymous

• Not when it takes an extra 3 hours to get the right stuff. They need ti simplify... it's not even WORTH it....
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 1:31 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I would not complain, I would work with it if I had too.

I say just put half water and half juice, I never ever gave my kids full juice it was half and half.

That allowed them to drink an extra cup.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:34 PM on May. 14, 2010

• #1 the ingredients in Juicy Juice are fruit juice concentrates, water, and vitamin C. Um. don't know where they heck you get the idea that it has added sugar. Try reading ingredients.

If walmart doesn't carry the brands you want, go to a different store! I'm sure you have other stores in the are than walmart.

WIC provides you with a card with the brands and sizes that they approve. Stores have "WIC Approved" signs by the items that you can get with WIC. It's not that difficult.

Anonymous

• I'm just grateful for the stuff that I CAN get with WIC! I do agree that it's sometimes hard to figure out what is/is not on the WIC approved list - the Food Lion (grocery store) here keeps telling me that the things I want are not on the approved list, but they are clearly listed in the booklet that WIC gave me so I have to take my book every time to correct them. The Harris Teeter (grocery store) here doesn't have the WIC items marked on the shelves, so I have to take my book to get the correct cereals/juices.
    But I am so thankful that WIC helps me afford the things that help feed my little one. If you don't feel it's worth it, don't use them - I'm sure the government would be happy to keep the money!
    Anonymous

• Our WIC doesn't have a card... we get checks. That's it. My checks cover three months and if there are changes in there emonths, there's no updated info until my next appt. Walmart has WIC approved signs but they're all wrong- and walmart is a one-stop shop for me. Plus it's the least expensive for my other groceries.... I'm not going to spend $100 more at Safeway just so I can get white grape juice for free....

I'm not looking for rude comments dude... it's frustrating. Free or not, it's frustrating. They change it all the time, they don't update anyone on the changes, they make you jump through a million hoops for a free gallon of milk?!?! it's just a lot of work.
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 1:40 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Yes it is a lot of work... I only use it for my babys formula, the other stuff I just buy like milk and juice and eggs. Its just easier!
    Anonymous

• that's a good plan anon 1044... I think I might just do that. The rest of it doesn't save me a whole lot anyways... maybe $10 a check.... in the long run, spending an hour to save 10 just isn't worth the hassel. Esp when I have three kids goin nuts. I don't have the time to wander the aisles and backtrack... only to find that halfway through ringing up my sale I have to run back to aisle 6 for another brand of cereal....
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 1:55 PM on May. 14, 2010

• It is not rocket science, the cereal is anything healthy, chex, cherrios, kix, rice crispies, unflavored oatmeal, cocowheats, cream of wheat, juice is 100% juice, frozen or bottled or canned. This is the way it was a year ago when I was on it, and for the eight years prior. WIC supplies healthy food, 100% juices and milk and chesses ..(NO CHEESE PRODUCT), and eggs and peanut butter and beans.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 2:39 PM on May. 14, 2010