How do you manage your bills?

I started paying my bills with on-line banking, but eneded up paying too much on some bills and not enough on others. Do you use on-line banking and if so, what is your organizational set up to do it? If not, how do you organize bills to be paid on time. Thanks, I really need to get more organized now that Im a single mom

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

• my insurance and other "set amount" bills are bank drafted. Things like electric and water bills come to my house. I keep them all together on top of my microwave. Usually on sunday nights I get my dd's stuff ready for school and go thru important papers, pay bills and fill out planner with school calendars and other stuff that has come home.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 1:47 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I keep all the bills in a folder that I labeled "BILLS" and I use a huge clamp to hang them on a hook in the computer room right above the desk. Every time bills come in, I paperclip it together with the previous months bills for that company. I keep the most current bill on top. Each time I make a payment...either by check,by phone or by internet, I write it down on the most current bill, including the date,chk number or approval code and the amount. I try to use first check of the month to pay rent then the check we get on th e15th is for all the bills. I sit down , figure out what we owe and how much we have and send out what we can.At least SOMETHING on each bill.
    When I was a single mom, I hated banks so I always cashed my checks, had envelopes labeled for each bill and the amount owed and tuck that amount of money in each envelope till I paid it out. I did that for gas and groceries too. Worked pretty well.
    Anonymous

• We make out all the checks the first week of the month and mail them as we get the statements. We only have one bill that we don't mail a check for, and that is a auto withdrawal for our insurance. We don't pay any online if we can mail the checks. By having the checks ready for the envelopes when the bills come in, we can get them back out right away. Also, if we know a check would be late through the mail, we go and pay the bill in person (like our cell phone bill-we just go to the store instead because they are bad about not sending you the statement in time for you to get the payment in before the late date- we usually get it two days before the payment is due and it takes 7 days for the check to reach them and be processed)
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:48 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I had to smile when I saw this because I had a similar thing happen to me when I set up online bill pay. Our mortgage company sends out a bill immediately after they recieve your payment instead of on a set date. Forever I would just pay the bills as they came in to avoid forgeting. So I just kept paying and paying the house payment until finally I had paid almost 7 months worth and was close to broke : )
    Finally I set up a calendar reminder to email me every Monday morning to pay bills. I just pay whateve ones have come in during the past week. But you could jsut as easily set it up for every 2 weeks or on certain days of the month or whatever.
    Good luck!

keila_mb

Answer by keila_mb at 1:51 PM on May. 14, 2010

• When we get paid, I take all the bill (which I keep in a certain spot so I can find them when I need them) I see how much money we have and then I add up all the bills, sometimes I have to split a bill between two different paydays so I have enough for other bills and money left for necessities, once I figured out how much money I'm going to pay for each bill then I go to the company website and click on the PAY ONLINE button and do it that way, if a company doesn't have a pay online thing or if they charge me to do so then I just mail them a check. I tried the online bill pay through my bank and didn't like it much.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:05 PM on May. 14, 2010

• DH gets paid once a month. So I arranged for all to be paid on the 1st. I put in savings first, then pay everything else. What ever is left has to last us the rest of the month. It works for us.
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 2:19 PM on May. 14, 2010

• We pay everything once a year. When we get our income tax I pay all the utilities for 12 months... The ones I don't pay like that I do pay online... I just log on and pay whatever the bill states I owe...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:52 PM on May. 14, 2010