Why is my son vomiting only at night?

My 6yr old has thrown up the past three nights. No other symptoms and he feels better and goes immediately back to sleep after the episode. He feels fine during the day. It's getting really frustrating not knowing what to do or even what's going on. Anyone ever had this happen? What to do?

keila_mb

Asked by keila_mb at 1:45 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Health

• Is he eating or drinking something at night that he doesn't at any other time of day?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:47 PM on May. 14, 2010

• My 2nd did this for a short period of time and the drs determined that he had reflux, which acts up more at night when you are in a prone position. They put him on zantac for a short period of time, which they think healed whatever was irritated in his esophagus and he was able to go off of it. Hasn't had any problems since. Possible?

Answer by missanc at 1:47 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Has he had anything to eat or drink all three nights in a row that is the same?
    Maybe he's allergic to something.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 1:47 PM on May. 14, 2010

• OMG!!! My kids had the same thing like 4 months ago! If you have more than one child in the same room sleeping separate them! My kids had it for a week. It started with my daughter then moved to my son (both 4 yrs old). It would seem one was getting over it and when one got sick the other would int eh same night. They were passing it back and forth. Crazy, I took them to the doc becuase it had been a week of this and they sent me home with stuff for vomit/stool samples (they had the runs during day and vomiting at night only after they fell asleep) They had BOTH had the runs right before we left for the docs office that day and then they were both done being sick all of the sudden! Keep him super hydrated. Have him eat the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce/apples, toast) low to no sugar or grease! Have saltines for him to eat (VERY slowly) after he vomits!
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 1:55 PM on May. 14, 2010

• but they both felt fine during the day and both felt fine after vomiting at night
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 1:56 PM on May. 14, 2010

• no, not eating anything out of the ordinary. Thinking maybe the relfux sounds more likely. Will have to see if any OTC meds can help.
    keila_mb

Answer by keila_mb at 1:59 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Oh, and Thanks!!!! to everyone!
    keila_mb

Answer by keila_mb at 2:00 PM on May. 14, 2010