Goddaughters pediatrician Q

my god daughter turned 4 in October and just yesterday had the standard early childhood screening at the local school. The teachers there confronted her mom (my best friend since childhood) about her weight.... at 4 1/2 she's 62 pounds. I don't know her height, but normal/avg.... not overly tall or short among her peers. Anyway, WIC has been on my friend for many many yrs about her daughters weight as well. However, the pediatrician says she's fine, will grow out of it, no need to switch off whole milk, etc. If the school district and wic say one thing but the pediatrician says another.... who is right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I'm surprised the pediatrician isn't concerned considering the rate of obesity in the US. I'd consider having your friend get a second opinion.
    Anonymous

• most doctors recommend whole milk from age 1-2, then to a lower fat milk
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:31 PM on May. 14, 2010

• oh, and my DS is 4 1/2 and is 39 lbs
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:32 PM on May. 14, 2010

• i thought you could only get 1 or 2 % milk on wic....anyways as long as her doctor says she's fine, that's who i'd listen to
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:32 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Wow, at that age, my son weighed half that. He was a 4th grader before he got that weight. I would be concerned on my own...no one would have to be concerned for me.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:37 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I"m a nurse in a daycare and on my city's Pediatric Obesity Prevention task force. Everyone in this country seems to need to learn something, including ME, including pediatricians. Setting up a 4 1/2 year old who is 62 # to "grow out of it" is just wrong.

If you want to p.m. me I'll try to give you a bunch of information. Start with 5-2-1-0:
    5: fruits/veggies a day
    2: no more than 2 hours of tv/ video/computer "screen time" per day
    1: at LEAST one hour of moderate exercise every day (including bad weather/dancing to music, doing exercise to sesame street, etc...)
    0: NO to very little sweet drinks, including sugar added koolaid type or regular fruit juices (due to the "empty calories")
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:48 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Screw the obesity rate! Attacking children for being pudgy is just wrong. She's 4 1/2! She will probably grow out of it. No need to give her a complex about her weight so early in life. A lot of pudgy children grow up to be skinny adults. People come in ALL shapes & sizes. We are not cookie cutouts. No one should expect ALL people to fit into certain growth guidelines. That's just nonsense!
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:40 AM on May. 20, 2010