Dental insurance... what to do when you suddenly realize you don't have it?

I called our insurance company today to discuss our dental coverage... apparently they never got the form DH filled out. When I asked to enroll us, I found out we have to have 12 mos in the Army still but he only has 6 mos... is there any way to get coverage or something???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I don't have it so I suffer but the kids have it through their dad. You can see if your state has dental coverage based on income? Then there are private plans you can buy I have yet to find a good one though.
    Anonymous

• You could work out a payment plan with your dentist, if s/he does that (ours does). There are also private pay discount programs that will get you a cheaper price, but you still pay OOP.
    Anonymous

• We've never had it. I don't know what it's like to have it. So...sorry, I'm no help.
    Anonymous

• See if you qualify for CareCredit?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:52 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I'd talk to the dentist's office manager/receptionist and let them know you do not have dental insurance at this time, would they be willing to set up a payment plan with you? I would also try to space out appointments (if you can) and try to schedule for after you have insurance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on May. 17, 2010

• Contact various dentist's in your area that can help set you up with financial aid.
    Even though we had United Concordia when we were in the military, I needed some dental work that was very expensive and the dental insurance we paid so much for barely covered anything. The lady in their finance office helped me apply to a couple of financial institutions for credit that would be solely used for dental work. I was approved on my husband's base salary for the Citi Health Card that provided a credit limit of more than I needed, gave me a moderate interest rate, and allows me to make monthly payments. Also, my dentist made a deal with me and said she would waive the anesthesia fees if I had all my dental work done at once, which I thought was fair because it would have been an extra $400 each visit.
    There are plans and help out there. Keep looking.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 2:27 PM on May. 29, 2010