Need advice on my bussiness idea!

I am currently a stay at home mom. I am looking to make a little extra cash. I am thinking of starting a "Home & Pet Service" bussiness in my area. I would be offering house cleaning, pet sitting, dog walking, and dog bathing/nail clipping services. Only problem is, I have no idea how or where to get started! Any ideas? Suggestions? Does this sound like something people would even be looking for? Give me your ideas and feedback. If someone in your neighborhood offered this service would you be interested?

tiffers32788

Asked by tiffers32788 at 3:12 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I would never hire a house cleaner that wasn't bonded and insured
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:13 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I would surely limit it to pet-sitting and care. If a family trusts you enough, you might offer house-sitting to "pet-sit" at the same time, but I'm with Peanut, I'd never hire a housekeeper that wasn't licensed, bonded, insured, and recommended.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:17 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Well... sounds like a GREAT idea. As the ladies stated you should get a business licence, and be bonded and insured... that is a given. But then go for it. You need to figure out what the going rate in your area is for a housekeeper, if you will use their cleaning products or yours, if you will supply the rags, mops, vacuum, etc. You will need cash up front for supplies, insurance, advertising, etc. So this will take a while to be profitable. You might even think about doing it "green"... very vogue to be a green house keeper. Using environmentally safe products, etc.

It is totally do able!  Write it all down... pros/cons.... money out vs. money in.... all of it... then make a decision.

Anonymous

• 1st and foremost - learn how to spell business!!! Otherwise, no one will hire you.

Licensed and Bonded, Insured, Business License. It is expensive to start your own business PROPERLY!!! Make sure that you have the money and drive to do this because most small businesses do NOT make a profit in the 1st year. They are just breaking even if they are lucky.
    Anonymous