Has anyone started working out later in the pregnancy?

I was so sick for the first 4 months but now that I am done puking and have some energy I am wanting to really workout. I have been walking, swimming and started light weight lifting. I am really hoping to reverse the damage of spending 4 months eating horribly and sitting on a couch. I have read that I really need to slow it down and watch what I do by the 3rd trimester but was wondering if anyone else is in the same boat..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Just take it easy and try to avoid cardio or high impact exercise. A good rule of thumb is that if you can't breathe to get a sentence out, you're overdoing it. You also want to make extra sure to stay hydrated, as dehydration can trigger contractions. The walking, swimming, and weight lifting(light only-think toning not building) are perfect. Yoga is also very good as long as you avoid certain poses requiring lots of balance like a tree pose or poses like downward facing dog or serpent- those can get uncomfortable. Yoga teaches good muscle control and breathing, and is very low impact, so it is a great pregnancy exercise, and has the added bonus of helping your body and muscles get ready for labor.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:59 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I started swimming late in the second trimester but I swam a lot. It felt great. I walked throughout, though, but I would definitely swim and walk, I can't see how it would hurt you. And I recommend prenatal yoga if you have that available and can afford it.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:02 PM on May. 14, 2010