how serious is thrush of the mouth?

i just know realized my son has white spots in his mouth. he has been real fussy all day but i just seen them. i have called his dr. but i had to leave a message and was just wondering how serious it is? can anyone help me i am so worried? also he is 7 months

Reneemommy

Asked by Reneemommy at 3:31 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter had it. Just get to the doctor when you can. I don't think it hurts them.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:33 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Its very serious. Its painful, they can develop a fever, and make them not want to eat. Also, i odnt know how long he has had it but there is a chance if he rubs them that they will start bleeding.
    I would call the doctor back.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 3:33 PM on May. 14, 2010

• http://www.medicinenet.com/thrush/article.htm
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 3:34 PM on May. 14, 2010

• It's no emergency. It can spread to their lower regions though. If you bring him in dress him in something you don't care too much about. The stuff they give them is bright purple and stains bad.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 3:34 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Army wife could be right but it's different for all babies. My son was fine with it.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 3:36 PM on May. 14, 2010

• It's painful and can cause other problems (stomatitis, diaper rash, etc). Get Nystatin (Mycostatin) from the doc.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 3:50 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Okay it can cause other problems, but it is NOT something you need to go rushing to the emergency room for. My daughter and I fought with thrush of the mouth and nipples (I nursed) for months and she never had anything more then the white spots and pain (no fever or anything like that). The bright purple stuff is actually not given by the doctors, but a supplement called genetian violet you can get at the pharmacist. The doctor will likely give nystatin which we did twice along with another antifungal before I found out about genetian violet and finally tried it and it was the only thing that worked.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:14 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Every baby is different with it. It's a fungus. My son had it so bad it spread through his internal system. Which sucked. He was so uncomfortable and irritable for a month. It took 6-8 weeks to get it completely gone. This was right after birth. I can tell you at 7 months with as much as they are mouthing and handling things, bleach all toys. Bleach your bottles and nipples often. Any sippy cups. Everything they put in their mouths!
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 4:52 PM on May. 14, 2010