Vegetarian child I babysit ate meat...do I tell her mom?

I feel really horrible about this so please don't bash...I made lunch for myself, my 1 y/o daughter and the 5 year old I babysit. I made tomato soup for us all, lettuce/veggie salads with grilled chicken for me, and a grilled cheese an for her.

The doorbell rang and it was the census taker. I answered her questions and when I came back the kid had left her plate and eaten mine instead. There was no need to tell her to spit it out, it was gone.

The question is, do I tell her mom what happened? I feel so guilty.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on May. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• Oh--and OP, you should definitely tell the mom what happened. I know that I would not be upset with you for an accident, but would be very upset if I were to learn later that her terrible stomach ache was due to eating something that her body can't easily digest, and not due to some other illness.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 8:12 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I wouldn't - no way!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:41 PM on May. 14, 2010

• yah... i would if i felt guilty
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:41 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I would probably tell her mom. It was an accident, she should understand that.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:41 PM on May. 14, 2010

• yes, you should always be honest
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:42 PM on May. 14, 2010

• what do you think will happen if she hears it from the 5 year old and not you?!
    peanutsmommy1

• You should be honest with her and tell the child's mother. It was an accident.
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 3:43 PM on May. 14, 2010

• lollzzz.. thats funny !! sorry , i didnt not trying to be mean. but if u keep the kid away from delicious tasting mean, whats the poor kid to do?? lol, he probably thought "oh what the heck eating non-meaty food everyday, that grilled chicken looks awesome, let me try some !!" LMAO
    Anonymous

• depends on the mom's attuide if she is easy going and then explain the mistake, if she is going to cause you a headache I would say no.
    ramajil

Answer by ramajil at 3:45 PM on May. 14, 2010

• you should tell and here's why.
    I've gone from vegan to veg to meat eater several times in my life. When you've been without meat for some time (or in the kids case, maybe EVER) it can be very hard on your tummy and bowels.

If she gets the runs or crippling stomach pains her Mom will want to know they'll pass and it's not a medical emergency
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:45 PM on May. 14, 2010