So it finally happened......

I locked my 2 year old, along with my cell phone in the car. In my defense the car just locked itself. I put my DD in the car seat and my bag in the front seat, I closed the door and as I walked around I heard the locks click. I don't know why it happened my locks do not lock automatically. So I had to use a nice woman's phone and call a cop. He got there in one minute and opened the door in 2 minutes. I know, its not a question, just thought I'd share.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on May. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• alrighty.
    Anonymous

• I am terrified this will happen to me. I always leave the driverside door open as I put the kids in their seats. I would invest in a hide a key box for your car. I can not find a metal part on my car to attach it too though :( What ever happened to metal cars? Our is all fiberglass crap!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:06 PM on May. 14, 2010

• That is why the keys are in my hands or pocket NOT in my bag as I put the kids in the car seats. Sorry this happened. I can't imagine how scared you were.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:09 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Op here... My DH said he would get my the hide a key box. I don't think the keys will ever leave my hand again though. Seriously from the time a called the cops to the time the door was opened was like 3 minutes.
    Anonymous

• We locked our 3 month old baby in the car at the airport in 10 degree weather. The car was on and so was the heat, luckily. I have NO idea how the car locked, either, but evidently the airport drop-off is one of the most common places to lock keys in a car. And yet, there was no one on site (the Indianapolis airport) who could open our car. It took 35 minutes to get her out... she noozed away in safety. My husband had to hold me back because I was going to break the window... but she was safe (otherwise, of course, the window would have been broken within minutes).

Scary, I feel you...
    Anonymous

• I ALWAYS crack the drivers side window before I get the babies in the car. I am so scared of this happening!
    ameliasmama1

Answer by ameliasmama1 at 4:16 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Glad it all worked out...this is def a fear of mine as my doors lock quickly.....I always make sure my keys are IN my Hands and not in my purse.....a lesson learned? :)
    Anonymous

• I am alway worried I will do this so I always roll down the drivers window just enough so I can get my arm in if needed.
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 4:18 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I did it twice, once with 2 of my younger kids, The only thing I can come up with is that I must have hit the lock button when I was closing the door. It was 85 outside and the inside of the car was hot, I couldn't figure out what to do and then I remembered that my little guy could get himself out of his car seat sometimes, not always though, so I asked him to give it a try and after a few minutes he did. The hardest part was getting him to unlock the door.

I did it once other time but I was at home and lucky for me the hubby was here so I ran in and got his keys.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 5:10 PM on May. 14, 2010

• That's happened to me. I hate that locks do that automatically. Back in February son's dad put our son in his seat, turned on the car, and shut the door so he can scrape the windows while the car warmed up. I was so mad. I wish I could make it to where my car doesn't do that.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 5:48 PM on May. 14, 2010