Teenager girl, what to do?!!!!

So I monitor my daughter's myspace page, today I saw that during school she was messaging some guy that looks alot older than 18 asking her if she loved him and him commenting back " oh you know I love you" my daughter along with our other teenager son do not go anywhere with someone we don't know we trust our kids but I feel that my daughter is kinda boy crazy and a little naive about how boys really are. I also found a message from another boy saying how he was going to kiss her again to make another boy jeleous, Hubby and I are p***** to say the least. She doesn't get into any trouble at school and gets good grades at school I am upset and dissapointed at the same time. Moms with teenagers how would you handle this? Advice please, she's 14 by the way

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Anon :19, you're a moron. This woman is talking about a 14 year old girl who is being pursued by someone that appears to be a LEGAL ADULT. How is that not something to be worried about?

I'd definitely take a time-out to talk with her about it. Do it calmly and gently. Let her know that it isn't okay for adults to talk to her like that because they could end up really hurting her, no matter how kind and loving they seem. I wouldn't be so worried about the boy at school she was messaging, but the one that appears to be an adult is scary. Your daughter probably doesn't even realize that she's being victimized by a child predator. I know I didn't when it happened to me.
    Anonymous

• First, I'd calm down so she will listen to you and not shut you out when you do talk. This is a great opportunity to talk with her about guys in general. She needs you and your wisdom now not your anger. She's getting attention from guys. We all like that but she needs to be warned about online dudes. Not all are nice just like real life, not all guys mean well there either.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:18 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Well, first, you should stop monitoring her ever move... Overprotective much??
    Second, accept that she is growing up and is going to make a few mistakes... They are a normal part of the growing process... learn to deal and quit being so controlling!
    Anonymous

• First I would put her on some form of bith controll, Right now. I have 2 grown girls so I know what I am taliking about. Kissing leads to more then kissing. Wheather you like it or not. Then I would have a long long talk about males/boys.

Answer by louise2 at 4:22 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Sounds like she's having some poor decision making to me. Less myspace and more afterschool activities (a dance class, babysitting, soccer, whatever)

consider having her swap her myspace for a facebook account. the security, parental controls, etc is better. And only talk, chat with, and accept friend requests from family and friends she's met in person (like school or church) stranger DANGER.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:22 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I bought dd a new upgrade phone last week with texting. Less then 24 hours later, some older guy is texting her. I called him, and I told him he was talking to a minor. He hasnt called back.
    Anonymous

• I am such that much older guy would LOVE to find out she's on birth control.
    She is only 14.... there should be no potential births to control.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:23 PM on May. 14, 2010

• It's hard to say. She's at that age where you really do have to watch! I say bravo mom you're doing a good job for caring about your daughter! I'd do the same when my daughter gets older! Girls are having sex and getting pregnant at such a young age and getting so many STD's! Also, is the older boy really who he says he is? People are nuts today and he could be a child rapist! I'd confront her about it! I have a younger sister and it's murder trying to get any information out for her! My sister is 15 and I am alot older then her (23) and I've been there done that and lied to my parents god only knows how many times! I ended up with the wrong crowd and doing drugs and then (thank god I stopped doing drugs) because shortly after I found out I was pregnant! I did end up turning my life around, went back to school married my daughter's father and we're very happy but the point is I started have sex at 15 talk to her asap!
    NicholeWalls

Answer by NicholeWalls at 4:24 PM on May. 14, 2010

• The more you tell her "NO" the more she will do whatever you tell her not to. Be understanding with her, let her voice her opinions and then you voice yours. Come to a middle. Keep her safe- but don't push her away by being so overprotective.
    Anonymous

• I am not old fashioned, I am 28...... I do NOT understand how the Mom's of today allow their kids cell phones, poorly monitored internet, etc etc.

If my daughter has a phone when she is under 18 it will be an old school no frills one..... no camera, no texting. Incoming/outgoing calls only. You can be overprotective forever but their innocence and reputation can be gone in a moment
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:25 PM on May. 14, 2010