Eww, I have mice! What should I do?

As a single mom, I’m at a loss on what to do with my mouse problem. I’m starting to see mice scurry behind the refrigerator and I hear them in my walls. I would get regular spring traps, but I don’t want my 2-year-old son breaking his fingers. He always gets into things he shouldn’t.
Anyway, are there any mouse traps out there that can’t potentially harm my child? I came across an electronic trap by Victor, but wanted to get some opinions before making a purchase.
Here’s the trap:
http://www.victorpest.com/store/rodent-control/m260
Has anyone else been in this situation?

KristaG1972

Asked by KristaG1972 at 4:26 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Can you get, or borrow someone's cat?
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 4:28 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Definitely borrow someone's cat if you can. If not, then go with the electronic one.
    Anonymous

• There are sticky pads. They are a bit inhumane but probably your best bet. DO NOT use poison because the mice will eat it and die in your walls... this close to summer would make for a horrible smell. The sticky pads trap the mice...but they are still alive. So then you have to throw it out.

Anonymous

• There is a "humane" trap that the mouse goes in, and it shuts him inside so he can't get out. It wouldn't hurt your son, but then you either have to worry about getting the mouse out of there or just throw the whole thing out and I'm not sure how much they cost. We had a mouse once and my husband would put out the spring trap late at night and set his alarm extra early to get up before our kids until we caught it.
    Anonymous

• We have mice problems about every 3 years. My hubby uses the standard snap mousetrap. He puts peanut butter on it then dumps it in the outside trash till garbage day.

Anonymous

• Is there any way to (even temporarily) adopt a cat? If you can adopt a cat for a while, you can always rehome him/her if you don't want the fuss. Be sure to get an active one, one attracted to a mouse-like toy, that still plays chase. You can find them at PetSmart or PetCo, but they generally have higher fees and do an in-home inpection. Or, if you don't want to adopt, perhaps you can "foster" for a while. You can get your child used to having a cat in the home, and a different cat every so often, so if there's a bad habit you don't have to deal with it for a long period of time, and they can always go to a new home.

Here's a link to a pic of the "humane" traps I found, but they don't get rid of the problem, only catch the one mouse.
    http://bestofstupid.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/humane-mouse-trap-mice-cube.jpg

By catching it, of course you either have to kill it or release it. Sometimes killing it will be harder.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 4:42 PM on May. 14, 2010

• craigslist. Get you a mouse catcher :-) A lot of people I know in the country get cats for that purpose.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 4:43 PM on May. 14, 2010

• If you release it, anywhere, it'll find its way home and back into your house.

Either get some traps and put them under and behind the stove, under and behind the fridge, and as far back in the lower cabinets as humanly possible. The best bait is cornbread or peanut butter.

Good luck to you! If you want some help finding a cat, let me know, I sit at home all day! ; )
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 4:44 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Actually, my dad has 3 black kittens he'll give away, right now. They're barn cats, and the cat he got was supposed to be male... turns out she wasn't, and is being fixed next week! If you're close enough, you can HAVE one, lol
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 4:45 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Sticky traps...while not really "humane" (Neither is getting a cat) - they wonb't harm a child. A little cooking oil will remove any fingers attached by accident.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:39 PM on May. 14, 2010