Does anyone work at a place that has a union?

If you work for a place that has a union can you tell me the good, bad, and ugly of how it works? Because our hospital is thinking about going union and I just want an idea of what we are getting into?

psurmont

Asked by psurmont at 4:43 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

• Unions DO have their uses. They negotiate contracts and often can get a better deal for workers. I work in a union shop. I'm not required to be a member but I do have to pay a fee every month.

It's harder for employers to let people go in union shops. The union stewards go to bat. And worktime rules tend to get strictly enforced in a union shop. And I think all of that's good in some businesses, like factory work.

On the flip side..if there's a strike, you don't work. Or you cross the picket line and get harassed. That strict enforcement of worktime rules can also work AGAINST you in some industries. I'm a journalist and there are times when I need to work a 16 hour day. I'm flexible in that way..unions tend not to be.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:48 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I've been a part of a teacher's union for 17 years, and it's very strong in my system. While they've been helpful, you have to remember they protect "the bad apples" as well.
    jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 6:38 PM on May. 14, 2010

• My hubby has a union job and I hate it. First their are the dues they take out of his paycheck, then they limit how much he can work overtime so even if he wanted to work more hours and make more money that we dearly need he can't. He also was doing very well in his job and wantd to go into management. But that is a no, no because management is a non-union position so the union people made his life hell until he finally declined the position. We could be better off right now if it wasn't for these jerks. Plus they will forever be hounding you for extra money to support their political agenda which may not be the same as yours. And they will push their political view on you. You will be expected to vote their way. But this is America so you can vote however you want. I can't wait until he retires.
    Anonymous

• I am a nurse and have worked in both union and non-union facilites. Pm me and i'll give you info and answer ?s-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:29 AM on May. 15, 2010