Should I worry?

My baby is five weeks old and she hasnt went poop in 4 days. She is peeing frequently and isnt acting like shes in any pain. Shes acting completly normal. Is this something to worry about?

Sophie4910

Asked by Sophie4910 at 5:10 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Stick a thermometor up their butt...like you're taking your babys temperature rectally like they do at the doctors...and it will make your baby poop, that is what I have always done with my kids when they were constipated, and my mother did with me...it works, it's safe, and it makes your baby feel much better. Try it...just make sure you have a towel or a diaper under their bum because they will poop like instantly....it can get messy, but I'm telling you from lots of experience...it works, and works great.
    Anonymous

• No.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:12 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I was told by my son ped. That if a baby doesn't poop for more the 72hrs then they need to be seen by a doc. I never had that problem so I'm not 100% sure but that is what the ped. Told me.
    momluvsmiles

Answer by momluvsmiles at 5:17 PM on May. 14, 2010

• My doc told me 5 days then to call. I called after 2 days one time and she said to bring him in at 5 days. Id say put a call in to the doc and let them know..
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 5:23 PM on May. 14, 2010

• If she is breast fed the can sometimes go more than a week. Beware the poo bomb.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:36 PM on May. 14, 2010

• dd did that once.. she didnt poop for 3 or 4 days and she was fine. i put just a tiny tiny (not even 1/2 an ounce) bit of apple juice in her bottle and she let it all out for daddy while i was at work :)
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 6:09 PM on May. 14, 2010

• If your breast feeding, it's completely normal as their bodies soak up all of the nutrients in it. If not, I'd be a little worried. Formula tends to plug up little ones. Try a tiny bit of pear juice... that's a natural laxative and will have their little bowels moving. I found out the HARD way with my oldest. Poor kid claimed that high chair BAD! lol!
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 7:09 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I bf my son and he would poop every 6 days. Once he went 9 days, and I took him in at their request, and they just told me to give him pear juice. It worked. I don't remember how old he was when that started though. Five weeks may be too young, but maybe not. If I were you, I'd call the pedi's office just to be sure. If they say it's normal, then I wouldn't worry about it.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 7:37 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I would consult your doctor. Make sure your baby is ok it is better to be safe than sorry
    ladybug0614

Answer by ladybug0614 at 10:45 AM on May. 15, 2010

• MY older DS did that once when he was a newborn. Do you breastfeed? I did at the time. I was told by his Dr. this can be pretty common for breastfed babies, but seeing your baby's dr. will help put yout mind at ease and rule out any real probs
    jcsafc51

Answer by jcsafc51 at 11:38 AM on May. 15, 2010