Why are hair stylists

scared to chop off long hair?? Everytime my hair gets really long and I go to get it cut they always seem so weird about it. My hair was down to the middle of my back. I work in a resturant and I have a 5month old dd, I'm sick of it and always wearing it up. So I went to go get it cut today. I told her *at least* to my shoulders, but to feel free to go shorter if she wanted. she acted so scared to cut it and cut it exactly to my shoulders. She didn't shape it or anything. It looks exactly like it did really long, just about 8 inches shorter. ugh. If you tell someone "cut it off" what's the big deal??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:15 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• you should have asked her!
    Anonymous

• My mother is a hair stylist and had many women come in with long hair saying "cut it all off!", when she did they complained it was too short! It's the fear of getting a complaint over something people think they want when they really don't. Not saying you will but it's completely unknown who is going to like it and who won't! Especially since it's such a big change...
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:18 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Because people have different opinions on what "chop it off" means. It is always better to be careful and not cut to much off. People who have long hair have been growing it for a long time and the stylist is anxious about pissing them off. If it isn't short enough, go back and ask for more to be taken off. If you go within a week of the first cut most stylists will gladly recut it for no charge.
    Good luck!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:21 PM on May. 14, 2010

• 8 inches shorter? Did you donate it? I just chopped off 8 inches and donated it. I figure they're always afraid to chop it off because they don't want anyone to cry. Plus, they can always cut more, but can't make it grow any.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:24 PM on May. 14, 2010

• You know, I use to have problems with stylists cutting my hair not how I wanted it, so when they would show me after they were done, i'd right then and there tell them "I'd like some more layers, and for it to be a little shorter." etc.
    They're working for you, so they shouldn't have any problem with you asking to make adjustments to your hair that you paid them to cut like you wanted.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the previous posters...some hair stylists are afraid if they do chop it all off, you are going to react negatively. I am sure if you told her you loved it but wouldn't mind another inch or two and some style added, she would've definitely done it!

My hair takes FOREVER to grow, I had it cut to my shoulders when my son was born, and I want to grow it a lot longer again, but everytime I go to get it trimmed, they cut way more than I want off! I guess I have the opposite problem :)
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 5:25 PM on May. 14, 2010

• A lot of people don't realize how much shorter it might be. People don't give a new hairstyle a lot of thought, and once it's cut too short, that's it, you're stuck with it until it grows back (unless you can afford expensive extensions). Some stylists are just afraid of being yelled at, so they do the bare minimum. Maybe next time if it's still too long, don't be afraid to speak up and ask to go half an inch (or more!) shorter. A good stylist will happily oblige and work with you to create the style you desire.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:29 PM on May. 14, 2010

• thats why i bring in pictures of how i want my hair...its a lot easier that way
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 6:17 PM on May. 14, 2010