14 mo. and the bottle

My almost 14 month old still drinks milk from a bottle first thing in the morning and before bed. She does drink from the sippy during the day but she won't in the morning or before bed. How do I get her do drink only from the sippy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have her throw out the bottles and explain to her that she is a BIG girl and big girls drink from sippy cups!=) worked for me.
    Anonymous

• OP- she won't anderstand if I have her throw them out.
    Anonymous

• Annon here: just try it, my dd was about 14 or 15 months too and thats what I thought... If they arent in the house then she will see that she needs to take a sippy cup.
    Anonymous

• I waited til my oldest was 2 and plan to do the same with my second.My second only uses a bottle at nap time and bed time.ither then that its always a sippy cup.waiting til 2 wont kill a child lol.I also still give my 1 year old formula ;) I had no issues when my oldest turned 2 and took them away.We went and bought 6 different sippy cups and she picked them all out.She only like 2 out of what we bought and I went and bought more of them.

good luck
    Anonymous

• i agree with anon33 ... I waited until my daughter was 2 to take her off the bottle and I will do the same for my son -- she was old enough to understand and it isnt like they were on the bottle all day and all night - they both took /take it before they go to sleep.
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 5:38 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Start slowly changing the 'rules. Start with the bottle has to be drank only in mommies lap but a sippy cup she can carry around or sit on the couch. Then make it a rule that only water goes in the bottle on mommies lap. Then cut back the amount you put in it. Make the bottle boring and the cup freedom!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:59 PM on May. 14, 2010

• if it was me and how I do it is I just take it away. I get rid of them I don't make it a big deal therefor they don't make a bug deal out of it eaither.
    Anonymous

• If I were you, I would let the kid have the bottle. My oldest son had his till HE was ready to give it up. Bottles, especially if they are filled with milk, are a comfort for babies and toddlers. So I wasn't going to take a comfort from him. He took juice and water out of a sippy but wanted his milk in a bottle. He gave his bottle up in December; he was 2.5 years old exactly. His teeth are perfect too. I had my bottle till I was 4 and my teeth are fine. And the AAP even says...

"Many mothers are bottle-feeding their children beyond age 2, even though pediatricians often recommend the bottle be given up by 12 to 18 months, according to a California study of 191 healthy full-term infants.

Researchers found 42 percent of 2- to 3-year-olds were fed about three bottles a day, and 16 percent of 3- to 4-year-olds were given an average of 2.1 bottles a day."

http://aapnews.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/15/4/2-a
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:14 PM on May. 15, 2010

• i am gradually doing it. i was going to do it by 14months but she didn't drink her milk one time that i gave it in her sippy in the morning. but she just learned to drink from the straw and well maybe i will buy a sippy with a straw . she loves straws now. i have grandparents to fight too though so its not easy. but i will do it when i feel its time. just like the formula she had it passed 12months. its fine. i had a bottle passed 2 also. everyone now a days wants the kids to grow up so fast and do everything so ahead of time. i want to keep her a baby as long as i can.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 4:55 PM on May. 15, 2010