Whats the best age and brand of rice cereal to start my baby on?

My doctor told me 6 months to start and my mother in law keeps telling me we should have started her on rice cereal already... she just turned 5 months and right now were feeding her earths best organic formula about 6 ounces every 2-3 hours. I'd love to hear what worked for you...

AmyOmommy

Asked by AmyOmommy at 5:46 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• none baby cereal is not needed at all. gerber is always good
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:48 PM on May. 14, 2010

• You dont have to give cereal. Its just the easiest thing for the tummies to digest. If your doc says 6 months id wait 6 months..
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 5:54 PM on May. 14, 2010

• No sooner then 6 mos IMO also. Cereal is not NEEDED, but you can use it if you like. Personally, I think it's disgusting. I recommend starting with a veggie or fruit.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:55 PM on May. 14, 2010

• None, and your doctor is right about the timing. Start out with real foods instead of cereal. Rice cereal has no nutritional value and can cause gas or constipation.
    Anonymous

• we also used the oatmeal. my all time fav is the yogurt blend by gerber. i mix it with formula, make it thin for the baby at 6 mo of age. if the baby doesn't like it you can add some fruit, a splash of level 1 gerber fruit :)
    Mommytobe618

Answer by Mommytobe618 at 8:58 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Never is fine. Solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 9:16 AM on May. 15, 2010

• Cereal is not a necessity. It doesn't have a lot of calories, is a pure carbohydrate, and the iron they add to it can be very constipating. Young babies don't even really digest solids very well until older (that's why giving a baby under 6 months food just makes colorful poo but all their nutrition comes from formula). Baby rice ceral tastes bad and just makes a lot of poop, it doesn't do anything nutritionally. Skip it. Since she is formula fed you can start around six month with regular fruits and veggies (it doesn't need to be pureed into oblivion, just soft). Watch your baby. A baby who is ready to experiment with solids will have lost the tongue thrus reflex, move food around with their tongue, and mimic chewing action. Breastfed babies can wait even longer (9 months to a year) which makes feeding regular food even easier.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:47 AM on May. 15, 2010

• We tried Earth's Best Organic Rice Cereal, but our son was never a fan. We went to sweet potatoes (I made most of his baby food, but we also used Earth's Best) and squash, then moved on to other sweeter veggies. He eats like a champ now (almost 21 months old), and isn't real picky.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:35 AM on May. 16, 2010