My baby has severe separation anxiety when I lay her down to sleep.

My mother in law cares for my daughter while I work. She naps fine for her. Same for my husband. But just in the past week, when I lay my 13 month old down for a nap or for bedtime, she screams. I can tell she'd scream for over an hour if I let her. It kills me to hear her in such distress. But I know that everything is physically fine with her, and she just wants her mommy. I'm wondering if I should just let my MIL and hubby put her down until she gets over this separation anxiety phase or if I should attempt to change my bedtime routine with her? Any suggestions for getting through this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:17 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sleep with her. You will emotionally scar her if you don't give her what she needs YOU. She needs you. The only way she will get over the separation anxiety is if you give her what she needs. She might be physically fine but she isn't emotionally and mentally - do you really want to get your MIL and hubby to put her down and avoid her just so you don't have to lay with her?
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:26 PM on May. 14, 2010

• when you lay her in her crib lay on the floor next to her and let her no that you are there and you are not going to leave, and put your hand threw the bars to let her no you are there..eventually she will realize that you are not going anywhere...give her a couple days like this then just lay beside her crib and just say mommys right here to her dont put your hand in the crib, she will go to sleep as long as she knows you are there give her a day or 2 like like then when you lay her in the crib just lay down beside the crib adn say mommys going to sleep now and close your eyes and pretend you are sleeping ..do this for a couple days....then day after day after day slowly back out of her room little by little.. and eventually you will be able to lay her in the crib and come back out without a fuss...i no this because i had to do it with my daughter..she would not go to sleep, she would cry until she threw up...and would cont..
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 6:34 PM on May. 14, 2010

• cont...not stop till i went into the room with her that was almost 5 months ago now, she is now 18 months old i lay her in her crib and walk out and shut her bedroom door and she goes to sleep without a fuss!
    Good luck to you
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 6:35 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Oh geez. She's not going to be emotionally scarred. She's smart and shes playing you. She knows you'll come get her out of her crib..because thats what you do. She doesnt do it to the others because she knows they won't come running like you do. Shes making a sucker out of ya mom.
    Try laying her down for her nap at a later time when you are the one to lay her down. Lay her down when she is visibly more tired. Thats what I had to do with my girl. I started laying her down about 2 hours later for her nap. Worked like a charm.
    Walk into her room, lay her down, cover her up, turn on the mobile, kiss her forhead,say have a nice nap sweetie. Walk out, shut the door.
    Anonymous