Shopping Trader Joes for the 1st time.

My hubby and I want to eat better.We will start slowly so we dont end up wasting money on things we dont like.if you like us and wanted to make the change how did you start out?Did you do one meal at a time or just take the leap>?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Well, eating healthy is eating a balanced diet. Be mindful of sugar in foods and carbs. You can buy meat from TJ's that is healthy and add veggies and brown rice. I'd just take the plunge and read the labels and go for it.
    Anonymous

• Dude, my husband and I go to Trader Joe's primarily for snack type foods; they have the best desserts! However, their prices on fruits and veggies are pretty high. Their prices on salmon and other yummy fish are unbeatable, though. I recommend going to your normal grocery store and buying the fruits and veggies that are in season. Simply add more fruits and veggies to your diet. Try fruits and veggies you aren't used to, and make them a primary part of your meal. Eat meat and pasta sparingly; eat smaller portions. Stop drinking soda and even juice; just drink water! Fruits are meant to be eaten. Oh and rarely eat ice cream. Fro-yo is just as good, seriously, and it has much less saturated fat.

Now to actually answer your question. I didn't find it hard to drastically change my diet. You may treat yourself now and then, of course.

Good for you and your partner to focus more on your nutrition. :-)
    SMH2010

Answer by SMH2010 at 10:07 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Check out Tosca Rena's books on Clean Eating, love them, & was able to jump right in....I love Trader Joes, & buy # of things there. They often have good prices on produce, but you have to know the prices. Mushrooms are almost always cheaper there. I love their chicken sausages, breads, & Greek yogurt, as well as nuts & dried fruits. My favorite crackers AkMak are cheaper at there than elsewhere.

My weekly menu looks something like this:

Breakfasts :

oatmeal w/ cinnamon, vanilla, golden raisins, 1% milk
    or 1/2 a grape fruit or other fruit, hummus & akmak or wasa crackers

Lunches:

Taco salad with lettuce, black beans, avacado, salsa and either crumbled feta, or a light sprinkle of cheddar cheese

A hummus sandwich on whole wheat with fresh fruit or salad

Dinners:

chicken soft tacos w/ beans & stir fried peppers

lettuce wraps w/brown rice & asian salad

ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:23 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I love Trader Joes! Just be aware that they have the best junk food on the planet!

I would start with simple changes. By whole grains instead of simple grains; work your way up to 5-6 servings a day; some great options are whole wheat tortillas, brown rice, quinoa, whole wheat pasta.. Cut way back on, or eliminate, meat and dairy. Eat at least two servings a day of legumes (beans, lentils, tofu, etc.). Work your way up to 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least three different colors.

Typical items I buy at TJs (lot of them organic): taco seasoning, multi-grain oat bread, whole wheat hand made tortillas, ezekiel raisin bread, frozen fruits and vegetables (chopped spinach, blueberries, pineapple, mango, broccoli, bean so green), meatless corn dogs, whole wheat pastas, tuscan salad dressing, romaine, grape tomatoes, strawberries, apples, tofu, Greek yogurt, eggs, blood orange soda, coffee, gorilla munch

Answer by rkoloms at 9:14 AM on May. 15, 2010

• I honestly did research from talk shows to you tube to cooking networks and just wrote down recipes that I wanted to try. I also cut out my sugary drinks like Soda OMG its horrible for you. Drinking more water, green tea-which burns belly fat, getting more of omgea fatty acids 3 and 6, taking vitamins daily, eating whole grain cereals, breads. More fruits and veggies in your daily diet. You need to eat the colors of the rainbow.
    Eat lean meats red meats are good to have every once in while but not weekly its horrible on your digestive tract. Fish, turkey, chicken. Nothing Fried!
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 10:32 AM on May. 15, 2010