How much and how often for feeding solids?

My 6 month old just started solids about a week ago. My question is how many times per day and how much per feeding do I feed him? I feel like I feed him enough but he seems to always want more.
One concern is that he has reflux and I dont want to fill his tummy too much because that will risk him refluxing.....yet, I want to give him enough food. He is gaining weight very well so that's not an issue, I just dont really know the specifics of how to do this since this is my first munchking.

Also, are there any websites that talk about this?

Munchkin09

Asked by Munchkin09 at 7:13 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ya know, i never though anything of it. I just fed him. I remember at 6 months he ate 3 jars of food a day. (i started him at 4 minths via doc recommendations). Im not sure what they recommend though.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 7:15 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Liquid lunch first...that is, breast or formula. Then whatever he will take in solids. As many times a day as you care to give them...the breastmilk or formula ALWAYS comes FIRST, all the way to the first birthday.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:20 PM on May. 14, 2010

• DD is 5 months.. I give her 2-4 ounces of formula then mix an ounce of juice with enough cereal to make it pasty, and add a jar of fruit to that. she usually eats that whole thing and about an hour later will eat a few more ounces of formula. I only do it once a day for now.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 1:43 AM on May. 15, 2010

• I started my boys at about 51/2 and I just started with a small amount of breakfast. I just let them eat as much as they wanted which at first was about an ounce or two. With your son having reflux, you might want to ask his doctor about how much to feed him, at least that is what I would do. I think at about 61/2 months they started having breakfast and dinner and now theyre 8 months and are having breakfast lunch and dinner. they have about 1 jar each time (average) (they also have cereal at breakfast time with their fruit!)

I dont' know if thats by the book or anything but my mom helped me make the decision when to do what. I just let them eat until they start getting distracted or just don't want anymore. they know how much they want so I haven't had a problem with it.

good luck!
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:59 PM on May. 15, 2010