I have never heard of a pedi saying this!!

My daughter took her 18 mo old to the pedi for her check-up this week. This pediatrician, who is the one who treated all 4 of my children, told her to get the baby off the diaper by her 2nd birthday. He said to put her on the potty 3 times a day! How often do doctors tell you when to start potty-training these days? Is this normal?

29again

Asked by 29again at 7:37 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Can't say I've heard a pediatrician say that one either. Maybe she went to a new seminar or something...you know they are always changing how things should be and what parents should do for EVERYTHING.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:30 PM on May. 14, 2010

• No, I would say that's not normal... Any decent Peds would know that each child will train at different times and it's better to train on their schedule than it is yours... Sorry, but I'd start looking for a new peds!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:39 PM on May. 14, 2010

• That is odd. While a chid should be encouraged to start potty train I've never heard of a pediatrician giving a parent a deadline as to when the child should be potty trained. My eldest wasn't fully potty trained until she was nearly 3, my 2nd daughter was barely 2 when she was fully trained and my son was about 2 1/2.
    Anonymous

• iv never heard of that. every child is different and since the parent knows their child better than the doctor they will be able to determine what time is right to start potty training. 2 was about when my dd started and had it down no problem in about 2-3 months.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:47 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Yeah, I'd have to second what Sabrina said... that's just wrong!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 7:47 PM on May. 14, 2010

• With my first his pedi said the same thing..............out of diapers by 2. I tried, but he was almost 4 when he started to cooperate!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 7:49 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I started going to this pedi when my oldest was 5. I also had a 3 yo and a 1 yo at that time. I also had another baby some years later, so, there are 2 of my kids who were going to this same doc at that age. It just kinda makes me wonder, because he really is one of the best! But some of the stuff he tells my dd is just really odd. It is stuff that he never told me to do, or not do.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 7:55 PM on May. 14, 2010

• OUr at the 18 month visit suggested going ahead and getting one between then and 2 for her to start gettin used to it...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:56 PM on May. 14, 2010

• No it's not normal. I took my son in for his 2 year check up, he was fully potty trained except at night and she was literally disgusted that he was not fully night trained and told me to get on that. We have never been back to see her, I would change doctors if I were you.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 8:09 PM on May. 14, 2010

• one of my pet peves is a ped telling a mom how to raise a child. I pay them to check out my childrens health, not for parenting advice or direction.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 8:12 PM on May. 14, 2010