This has got to be a wives tail right?

So i was expressing how now that im 36 weeks i wish i could take a bubble bath but i know i wouldn't be able to get out of the tub lol and my friend told me that they suggest against a bath because it can induce labor... Ive never heard that before... is that true??

ArmyAngel18

Asked by ArmyAngel18 at 7:52 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• never heard that one but My husband read in my book about the water being to hot for the baby and became this super bath nazi! OMG I had to lock the door! lol!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:54 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I have never heard anything about taking about except they tell you not to get in the tub if your water has broken b/c bacteria can get in. That one is true though, I think.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:55 PM on May. 14, 2010

• A bath won't induce labor. Nothing wrong with a bath, just don't make it too warm. As for a bath after your water has broken - nothing in the water is fine, but if your water has broken you can't have a BUBBLE bath. I sat in a warm bath after my water had broken with 3 of my 5, my midwife suggested it. It only felt good with one of them though ;). Go ahead momma, take that bath, even a bubble bath, just not too warm!
    Anonymous

• I've been told not to take baths that far along in a pregnancy due to possible bacteria...but never heard about it inducing labor..if that were true..man...I would have sat in a bubble bath from 38 weeks on! LOL
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:40 PM on May. 14, 2010

• No it is not true. No I have been told not to take bubble baths that far along because it can cause a yeast infection. But lots of women use the bath to relax and deliver baby's.
    Anonymous

• My main worry was slipping in there when I was that far along. Be careful, mama!
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 8:53 PM on May. 14, 2010

• you're not supposed to take HOT baths because it can essentially cook the baby... as gruesome as that sounds it's true. the same goes with shower water and they advise against jacuzzis for lengthy times.
    flaggot13

Answer by flaggot13 at 8:58 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Its a wives tale..and you can also take a bath as hot as you like. You would become uncomfortable with the heat long before you'd raise you core temperature enough to be harmful.

Anonymous

• If that were true do you know how many desperate woman would be in the tub to get that baby out? :) Towards the end I know there were times I would have loved to have given my babies an eviction notice. :) Just saying!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on May. 15, 2010

• That reminds me of Jenny McCarthy's book "Belly Laughs"... She found out she was preggo, & got in hot tub... some old lady screamed at her that she was going to kill her baby, so she called her OB asking if she just hard boiled her baby LOL!!

To answer your question, no a warm bath will not send you into labor. Just don't make it too hot because the temperature change can cause dizziness. Also, I would skip the bubble bath... some mamas get more susceptible to UTIs during pregnancy, and as one PP mentioned, yeast infections as well.

Have a nice bath, mama :)
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 2:30 AM on May. 15, 2010