$277 to get one seat belt fixed, does that sound right?

I went to the dealership and they have to order the part. Is there anywhere else to go besides the dealership that will not charge such a high labor cost? Im ready to get duck tape and tape myself to my car seat when I drive. I know its important and its life and death,,,but does anyone have any other ideas? thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• dealerships are the highest price on repairs just fyi. do you know anyone who either works on cars, or works for a mechanic? I agood luck, I know it sucks.sk because we recently had to replace a door part. the mechanic said "377.00 for the part, total 500 with labor" well we had bil order the part,a nd guess what....70$ so you need to shop around. gl it sucks.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 8:45 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Holly $$$! We had a broken seat belt... took it to the shop at the bottom of the hill and he did it for $50... parts cost $12 from the junk yard... There is no reason to get everything 100% new or done by the dealership... I would say shop around...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:45 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Don't think I would want seat belt parts from a junkyard. Something as important as seatbelts are worth the extra price of new to me.
    Anonymous

• You can find almost any part for any car on ebay, or do a search for it on the internet. There are forums for all different kinds of cars, you could join one, then ask where you can find it. Shoot me a message with the make and model, my Hubby can find anything. I will run it by him and see what he can find. (If you want)...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:39 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Sounds right to me. I got one fixed a few years ago and I think it cost $240.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:23 PM on May. 14, 2010

• We fixed our own - it's really not that hard, if I had to do it myself now I could! The seatbelt cost $85, had to be special ordered. Paying anyone else to do it wasn't an option.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on May. 15, 2010

• Yeah I agree with the try and fix it yourself or get someone else to do it. I never go to the dealership because the rices are outrageous. I would rather fing the neighborhood mechanic to get it done.
    daryahna

Answer by daryahna at 1:28 AM on May. 15, 2010

• Try looking for a mechanic on CraigsList... Get references & call them before you go with him/her.
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 2:25 AM on May. 15, 2010