What is an appropriate age to start going to sleepovers?

My daughter is 6 years old and has been getting invitations to spend the night at friends' houses for at least a year now. The parents think I am odd because I'm not comfortable with that. I think she is too young. Am I overprotective or is 6 too young? I would like to know what age you think is good for sleepovers as well.

Lbug0417

Asked by Lbug0417 at 8:48 PM on May. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think 5 or 6 is a good age to start. If you are uncomfortable because you don't know the parents, get to know them... I wouldn't see an issue with my kids staying with their friends once they start school... I thought that was the normal age to start that stuff...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:50 PM on May. 14, 2010

• i am soo glad you posted this my little girl is 5 almost 6 and i am having the same problem. SHE is ready but I am not....i am not comfortable with he going to a friends house with out me.....i would much rather have he friends sleep over here....but she has to get that room clean first..lol....
    Anonymous

• 6 feels too young to me too. Once at a sleepover a girls brother touched me in my sleep, it woke me up. I called my mom to come and get me(we lived just accross the street). I think 12 would be a better age for sleepovers.
    Anonymous

• I say wait till about age 8. It really depends on your child though. My dd had a sleepover b-day party at 9 and one of the kids got homesick and the parents had to come get her at about 11pm. I dont think my dd went to a sleepover at age 6. Some of the kids that came to her party, left at a certain time to go home, so dont worry about what other parents think. I didnt think it was strange that those kids went home. To me it is all about the parents peace of mind
    Anonymous

• I really think it depends on how well you know the family, at least for your comfort level, and then for your daughter if she is mature enough to be comfortable away from you, and also to know what to do in case anything did happen. I slept at friends houses at 6, but they were like my parents best friends or it was my cousins, it wasn't just girls from school whose family I didn't know that well. Of course, even then I called in the night sometimes to go home- but I still got homesick at 13 so I'm not a good example for that aspect of it. As a parent, I would want to know the parents pretty well to feel comfortable. And I would want to know my DD had a plan if she felt homesick or scared, or if she got sick or (god forbid) something happened that was inappropriate. I hate to even think that but it is a scary world. Wait until you feel confident- your gut is usually right as a mother I think.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 9:08 PM on May. 14, 2010

• 9 or 10 would be a better age
    Anonymous

• Thanks everyone,

I was thinking 8 years old. She has spent the night at my parent's before as well as my sister's (who has 2 girls that are 7 and 5). She is okay with spending the night away with family, but I don't think spending the night with friends from school is the same. Maybe we should start with having someone over here and then go from there?
    Lbug0417

Answer by Lbug0417 at 9:14 PM on May. 14, 2010

• my son is almost 5 and had his first sleepover at grandams when he was 3 ( and I was in labor..:)).. and a friend sleepover about a month ago. These were our neighbors straight across the street that I've known for years and am very close friends with. School friends, he'd have to be 8 or 9 and ONLY if I knew the parents well. Too much can happen ..
    Alexsmom624

Answer by Alexsmom624 at 10:03 PM on May. 14, 2010

• For us, 5 or 6 was ok for going to grandma's or stay with her cousin for a night. For friends, we waited until she was 9 and we knew the neighbors for over a year before allowing it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:20 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I think that DD was around 6. She loves spending the night at friends' houses. Her bff is nearly 12 and still will not spend the night here. I always joke that dd needs to pack a toothbrush when going over there because she does stay 9 times out of 10. It really depends on the child and how comfortable you are with the situation. I know the bff and her family very well. Other families, not so much and I limit the time at their house, but encourage the other girl to come here.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:37 PM on May. 14, 2010