should a 11 mo old be soley drinking from a sippy cup? when do you stop using the bottle? my daughter just chews her gums on the sippy cup and d0esn't drink from it. i tried to put it to the roof of her mouth, she still doesn't drink from it. :( is it ok that she is still SOLELY on the bottle at 11 mo??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it's totally fine. after all she's still an infant. don't worry if she stays on it even for 6months or more.
    flaggot13

Answer by flaggot13 at 9:04 PM on May. 14, 2010

• completely fine .. my 11month old doesn't drink from a sippy, i always try every couple days .. she's getting better with it since she figured out it makes loud noises when she hits it on the table - lol.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 9:30 PM on May. 14, 2010

• my daughter refused to drink from a regular sippy cup. she's 18 mos now and still won't use one of the regular ones. but she will drink from the ones with the straws.it's the only way i could get her off the bottle.
    aplace

Answer by aplace at 10:46 PM on May. 14, 2010

• One of my kids weaned herself off the bottle at 9 months, took all her formula from a sippy. The rest of my kids were drinking well (formula, juice, water, milk) from a sippy, took in almost half of their daily fluids from a sippy. Nothing I pushed hard, it just worked out that way. It's just going to make it harder to break her of the bottle later on.
    Anonymous

• A friend of mine has a 19 month old girl and didnt start drinking from a sippy cup until she was 14 months old. My son is 10 months old and If i wanted to i could have him drink soley from a sippy cup, he drinks from a sippy cup often and very well.
    We started giving him a sippy cup when he was 6 months, he didnt start actually getting good at drinking from it until 8 months. Now were thinking about putting him soley on the sippy cup.
    jessran1218

Answer by jessran1218 at 12:46 AM on May. 15, 2010

• She will give up the bottle eventually. My DD wasn't ready until 14 months. We started introducing it at about 12 months, and kept introducing it every 3-4 days for about 2 months before she took it. And honestly, we had almost no problems with the transition. Once she took the sippy, we slowly decreased when she used the bottle. We replaced 1 bottle with a sippy, then 2, then 3, with the nighttime bottle being the last to go. When she would wake up at night, we would give her a sippy, & she would fuss a bit, but it wasn't anything snuggles couldn't fix :) It only took about 2 weeks to get off the nighttime bottles.
    Also, you might try different types of sippys... she might prefer one kind to another, like hard spout or soft spout. It might even come down to brand- My DD HATED the Dr. Brown's sippy, but LOVES the Gerber sippy- and they are both soft spout. You just have to find what works for her.
    Good luck! HTH.
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 2:42 AM on May. 15, 2010