You see a woman being verbally abused in public by her SO, she has bruises and is obviously being abused physically as well... What do you do?

From tonight's "What would you do" show...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 9:11 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Honestly, I would stay in the area and quietly call the cops and explain what I saw. If it got too out of hand before the cops came I would walk up and get in the middle.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 9:16 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Well, I'd like to say that I'd call 9-1-1 right away.
    But heres the truth.I was 17 and riding home from school on the public transportation (RTA) when we stopped at a red light as we were passing through Downtown Cleveland.A man had (whom I assume was his wife/gfriend) by her hair and was screaming into her face. She was silently crying.Wasn't making a sound.She looked terried.He slapped her. Was calling her all kinds of obscene names.She had a black eye, a fat lip and bruises up and down her arms.
    The image is forever embedded into my memory.
    But the fact that I did nothing but stare is in my memory too. I was too afraid to get involved.Other people were walking right around them, like nothing out of th eordinary was going on. I had no cell phone back then.I often wonder, if I did..would I have called.
    Today, I would like to think that I would.
    What a sad world we live in sometimes.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:16 PM on May. 14, 2010

• There's really nothing I CAN do. Unless the woman will admit the abuse (which, she probably won't because she's out in public with him so she's probably still in denial that he won't change), then I'd just be possibly endangering her more if I said anything, because he'd take it out on her after. I tried to help a friend not that long ago that was being verbally and emotionally abused, made a report, but since she wouldn't substantiate the claim, it went away.
    Anonymous

• I would, and have stepped in... I worked for a restaurant, the midnight/bar shift. I saw it all... And more than once I was a witness to abuse. I did step in, every time. Once I even hit the guy, sucker punched him right in the face... I let him know how it felt. And more than once I helped the women find somewhere else to go. Sure, I can't make her get out, but I sure as hell can't just sit there and watch it happen. It's just not in me.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:25 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I am a dv survivor and this topic is close to my heart. I escaped dv and I will not stand by and watch someone else go through what I went through. Never again could I walk away and pretend that I dont hear it. Stand up and do the right thing. As the New York phrase goes, "if you see something, say something" Get on the phone and call 911. Scream for help, do something but please, please dont just walk away. She needs us, more then we could ever know.
    Anonymous

• I have been witness to two different neighbors being abused by their boyfriends. I called 911 both times.
    I once answered a question on here about who I would call 911 if I saw it and I had women jump all over me that the abuser might snap and kill her. And that it was much more dangerous and that I should mind my own business.
    I would call 911 for sure!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:30 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Nothing... Want to know why? I'm an abuse survivor. I was in an abusive marriage for years. Every time someone decided to get involved I got it worse... One night we didn't even make it home... He hit me with the car in the parking lot... Did I want to get out? Yes, but we had children, it wasn't that simple. After that night, I did leave... When I did get out, I took the kids and ran... He found us, he shot me and my 2 year old... I lived... my son didn't... Thanks to all the women who get involved, I know you mean best, but it could have cost me my life that night, and leaving him did cost me my son... How worth it was it?
    Anonymous

• I would like to call 911 but nothing you can do if he doesnt physically hit her in front of people. Plus the victium usually needs to be the one to speak up and if they on't the charges either never get pressed or dropped. Now if he hit her I'll call 911
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:35 PM on May. 14, 2010

• THIS HAPPENED TO US THIS SUMMER.

We saw this man yelling at this woman like I have never heard.  Her body language was such that we knew she was scared but she was not fighting back.  My step father got out of the car and confronted the man while I called 911.  The man took off running and after giving a description to the police they found him. 

The IDIOT woman would not press charges... no wonder she is stuck getting abused.  It was a HUGE lesson for my two daughters 15 & 8 of how NOT to act when you are a woman.  You can be a victom or you can fight back... this poor woman doomed herself to being a victom... it was heart wrenching to see how weak a human she was acting.

Anonymous

• anon:57 here.

BTW.. the police told us that he was out on parole and by being that close to her he had violated parole and that had she done the right thing he would be taken straight to jail.... but because she wouldnt say anything they had to let him go.
    Anonymous