My 3 yr old fell and sprained her wrist, now what?

We got the xrays back after taking her to the ER and they were negative, so now what? She does have a splint /ace bandage and a sling. But how does this work with bathing? Should I take it off everytime since its not broken? Does she need to have it in the sling all the time since its not broken? Theres no swelling or bruising either. How long will this take to heal, or before she feels better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• call back to the ER, they should have given you instructions on how to care for it and for how long..If not verbal orders, did they give you paperwork?
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:57 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I would keep it on as long as possible, so it can stay stable and heal faster. Put a plastic bag on it in the bath, close the top of w/ a rubber band 'round the arm.

But yes, get info from dr. or er about how long she needs it on, and if you can remove it for short periods at a time to bathe, etc.
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 11:20 PM on May. 14, 2010

• My dd sprained her wrist a few weeks ago, it takes about 2 weeks to totally heal, take it off to bathe her and put it right back on when she is out. You can take it off for her to sleep if it is uncomfortable for her, the main thing is to make sure she wears the braces and uses the sling while she is awake. But yes call your doctor for more info.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 10:05 AM on May. 15, 2010