True or False: Women who stay home are depriving their families-at least partially

Spin off on the other post. Are women that stay home depriving their families of:
*positive role models that girls can do more than stay home
*time with Dad as many women say their husbands work extra so they can stay home
* extra money for vacations and fully paid college
* not putting enough away and risk burdening their children as they age as they did not save enough for extended care

I know that YOU think they need you and YOU think its so important-but what do you think they will think when they get older-will they wish you worked to provide the above?
Does it matter? Just curious after reading responses and "best answer" to a similar question slanted the other direction.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 PM on May. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• Only speaking for myself of course, yes I feel like I deprive my family a little. Every time I have a bill we can't afford or I have to say no when my daughter wants something. I do wish i would have stayed on part time so things would be a little easier now. But  I don't think I am depriving her of role models, I have worked in the past and I will work in the future and she knows it. Plus there are tons of other women to look up to. Her father gets plenty of time off to spend with her each week so that is not an issue. And yes I would like to travel with her if we could afford it. But then again it would be harder coordinating two work schedules to allow it. The time I get to spend with her is priceless and I wouldn't give that up for anything. She will only be young once. She may say she wished she had more toys but she will never say I spent way too much time with my mother.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:18 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Spin off on the other post. Are women that stay home depriving their families of:

*positive role models that girls can do more than stay home    My daughters know plenty of working moms and they enjoy having me availiable to them and SO DOES MY HUSBAND.

*time with Dad as many women say their husbands work extra so they can stay home My husband did not have to work extra and my husband spends plenty of time with his kids

* extra money for vacations and fully paid college Wasn't paying for college anyways.

* not putting enough away and risk burdening their children as they age as they did not save enough for extended care Not an issue.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:41 PM on May. 14, 2010

• i think it suits my family for me to stay home. i would not make much more than child care expenses. and dh does not like to take care of the house and i dont mind unless iv worked just as much as him. he very rarely works more than 40 hrs. when my kids are older and in school i will be going to college and then working probably until i retire.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:48 PM on May. 14, 2010

• No more than a father working outside the home deprives the family.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 9:51 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I can not speak for other families only for our own.

My husband makes $300,000 I am not financially depriving my family by not working.

I think my kids benefit much much more by me being home. They are very involved in school, sports, religion, and I can provide all rides and they miss nothing.   I volunteer, I am the house that the kids gather at. We can go to the museums, theater, zoos, hikes, etc.... because I have all the time during the summers. 

We rarely have to rely on take out. We have all retirement and college funds funded. We vacation at least 2 times a year.

So speaking for my family... it would be much more of a disservice for me to work.

Anonymous

• This is a stupid question, but I'll bite...

*positive role models that girls can do more than stay home* Many of my friends when I was growing up wanted to do the exact opposite of what their moms were. Many stay at home now BECAUSE their moms worked when they were young. I think most kids look to anyone BUT their mother for role models.

*time with Dad as many women say their husbands work extra so they can stay home* Even when I was staying at home and he only worked 8-5, he spent all his time with friends and going to games and partying, he obviously didn't want to spend time with his kids...
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:55 PM on May. 14, 2010

• * extra money for vacations and fully paid college* Already taken care of by college funds set up by dh's uncle and still funded by grandparents each birthday and Christmas. Also, ever hear of scholarships? There are tons out there to be had, you just need to know where to look. Besides, both my 11 yr old and 15 yr old have a 3.9 GPA, and will be able to hopefully get scholarships and other aid.

* not putting enough away and risk burdening their children as they age as they did not save enough for extended care* Oh come on... how many two income households even do this? Many dual income households are still in debt up to their eyeballs!
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:57 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Now here's a question for you, OP... are you jealous that other moms get to stay home, while you have to work? Just curious because you sound petty.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:59 PM on May. 14, 2010

• What I think my children need and what my DH thinks our children need is what is important. Wether you agree, whether other people agree doesnt matter.
    My children are not deprived.
    My DH and I work hard together as a team to keep this family running.
    He does work hard.So do I. He spends lots of quality time with the kids. He adores them and they adore him. He plays with them, he teaches them, he corrects them, he disciplines them.He is here for ALL of us, as I am.
    I am a stay at home because thats what we choose to do, its what works best for all of us.
    No, noone in this family is deprived.

By the way..having less money than a 2 income household does not mean that we are deprived of fun either. Creativity and ambition can go a long way with just $1.00
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:05 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Definitely false...imo. I think that my children are blessed (not deprived) to have a mother who is willing and able to stay at home with them. And as far as the other questions, proper money management and living within your means will go a LONG way, regardless of whether your family has one income or two.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 10:15 PM on May. 14, 2010