Newly single & want to start dating again...HELP!!

I'm a newly single mom our of a 4 yr relationship w/ son's dad. I wanna start dating again. The guy that I want to start dating is a friend of my ex. He told me that he's been waiting on my ex to leave so that we can get together. (He's been around for a lot of our fights & has witnessed ex being verbally abusive & destroying things. He was always around to make sure I was ok.) But I know that he has other female friends & I haven't dated someone in so long that I feel like I'm in high school again. Ugh...I was so ready for my relationship to be over & now that it is, I dunno how to start dating again. I feel so lame. I need tips! Help!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Relationships

• Ok the thing is that this guy, unless he is willing to cut all ties with your ex, is not going to be a healthy choice. It is drama in the making. Just imagine how you would feel if your ex started dating one of your good friends? Not so good huh?
    I would let that guy go and go ahead and find someone else who doesn't make you feel like you are in high school. I say this in kindness because I have been there and can tell you first hand it is a horrible idea.
    Anonymous

• I am going to keep checking back on this one because I'm fairly fresh out of a four year relationship too!

I don't have anyone waiting in the wings for me but it's bound to happen sooner or later....at least I hope so! Lol!!!

I'm interested to hear what advice you get.

If things are still the same as they were four years ago then my advice would be to not make yourself too available to him.
    Not saying to play games, just don't give him everything he wants right off the bat or it'll be over before it starts.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 10:24 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I am sorry but I think you need to be by yourself and take a breather. Focus on you and your son before worrying about dating especially if the ex was abusive.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on May. 15, 2010