thrush:(

My 3 month old has thrush. She refuses to take her medicine. I have begun to swab it on her inner cheaks, tongue and lips. Have you done this with your child and had the thrush clear up? How long did it take?

bloomsr

Asked by bloomsr at 11:24 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i used gentian violet. and thats how you use it. it stains everything purple. and you have to put it on your nipples too. then you look like you have targets on your chest. but it worked, it got rid of the thrush. it also put purple spots all over her clothes and hands and blankets.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:49 PM on May. 14, 2010

• i cant really answer your question but i am right with you my son just got it today and i feel so bad for him you know that has to be so painful in your mouth of all places but i did not get purple medicine it is bright yellow but i feel you i hope everything goes well for you!
    Reneemommy

Answer by Reneemommy at 12:06 AM on May. 15, 2010

• My daughter got the nasty yellow stuff too. Have you tasted it! Yuck!! This is why I have switched to the q-tip. I use one of the ear safe ones (with more cotton around some parts) and put the stuff on the yeasty areas . The dr. also told me to put Clotrimazole on my nipples 3 times a day (anti fungal foot cream, also used for diaper rash). Hopefully it clears up soon. I feel so bad for her:(
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:12 AM on May. 15, 2010

• really my sons dr. told me not to use any cream on my nipples because when he nurses that he will ingest that and it was not good for him she just told me to rub the same yellow stuff on them but yeah she also said to get a wash cloth wet then pour the medicine on it then just rub it in the mouth she said also to boil his Binky everyday! i really hope she feels better i will be giving him tylonol when he is pain because just imagine the pain that has to cause! good luck!
    Reneemommy

Answer by Reneemommy at 12:22 AM on May. 15, 2010

• I agree with jennifer588. I have used gentian violet on all 3 of my kids. That stuff works better than Nystatin. I always saw an immediate change in each child as they nursed. I used it morning & night for 2 weeks.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 2:22 AM on May. 15, 2010