breastfeeding help please!

My daughter is 10 weeks old and is bfeeding every hour. This has been going on for 5 days. She weighs 14 lbs (pretty darn big for a girl her age).
I am hoping she is going through a growth spurt- but it is hard to feed almost non-stop. Any advice/words of encouragement/etc. are greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't listen about "using you as a soother" , a soother is a mommy substitute, not the other way around! I know it seems non stop, but there is a MAJOR growth spurt coming up and the sucking is stimulating your supply. It will pass I promise! One thing that does help is to be sure she feeds on one side per session, don't switch her in the middle. This will ensure that she is getting hindmilk (though with frequency feeds that is usually not a problem.)

My best advice is to stop watching the clock. Forget about chores that can be left. Wear your baby. I tell you that you are going to miss the ease of this stage in retrospect even though it seems like you want to screetch right now.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:15 AM on May. 15, 2010

• She may be using you as a soother. check to see if she is actually swallowing when you feed her. Is she sleeping when feeding? My second dd would do that and I would break her latch with a soother and she would continue on sleeping.
    Good luck!!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 11:31 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Sounds normal to me. It won't last forever. Keep up the good work.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:44 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I agree it sounds normal. Hang in there and it will get easier soon!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:15 AM on May. 15, 2010