For those on PA, do you have a plan in place if the system runs dry?

Spin off...
and this is coming from a real and very caring place, bash me if you want, you aren't going to hurt my feelings.

California is cutting welfare benefits...Greece has rioting because their benefits are running dry. We are hours/minutes/days/months away from this happening here. Do you have a back up plan, and if so, what is it?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 11:28 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• We've never been on PA, but that doesn't mean we haven't saved and prepared well for a "rainy day!" That's kind of what fiscal conservatives and responsible people do--even when times are good!

I kind of feel sorry for "city dwellers" who have no land (to grow crops or keep livestock), no real storage space (to store emergency supplies), and in a significant number of cases no way to escape the city they're in--because they do not own vehicles and depend on public transit to get around. Those poor souls will be the first to suffer in a major catastrophe.

Unfortunately, many people will read this post and these responses and laugh at us--thinking we're paranoid, fear-mongers, or just nutty. But when things DO take a turn for the worse, just think who will be having the last laugh!!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:04 AM on May. 15, 2010

• Pillage & plundering.
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 11:38 PM on May. 14, 2010

• for myself, and for many families on PA, this was a temporary assistance. I planned on finishing college and getting a good job. Proud to say that I did. Without the temporary help offered I would be in a much more difficult place than I am right now. Hopefully the cuts in California still allow for people to have children when pregnancies are unexpected and let people make a comfortable living situation for their families.
    Anonymous

• i am trying to homestead. we have a big garden this year and are building a chicken coop and buying some chickens. maybe milk goats next year. the birds are usually no more than $5 and you can build your own chicken coop for $100 or less if you are thrifty. we are also learning to make our own soap, clothing, cheese, bread, condiments, canning. i already make our laundry detergent, cleaning products, and toothpaste. one day i hope to be entirely self sufficient.
    june_kitten

Answer by june_kitten at 11:59 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I think the old "hunting and gathering" will be the new thing. Or, some of those survival garden kits. Do we still know how to grow our own food? Some may need to be "retooled" in that.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:08 AM on May. 15, 2010

• We're homesteading. We've got a huge garden and heirloom seeds for at least five years (more with what I'll save from this year), chickens, meat rabbits, piglets, and as soon as the first home is built we'll be adding a barn and goats for both dairy and meat. We've got our root cellar halfway done. I both can and dehydrate food, make cheese/yogurt/butter, I make soap and laundry detergent, we have a well/septic, we'll be adding solar later this summer. While we've planned for a while to be self sufficient we're getting there now.

All of this takes time to learn. Most of it requires buying supplies and foundation stock. Even with a farming background it's taken us years to acquire a lot of these abilities. But ~ seeds and some how-to books are a good start for anyone, and a dehydrator. You can store a LOT of dried food even without a garden if you shop farmer's markets.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:29 AM on May. 15, 2010

• I've had custody of my nieces since they were in diapers, and I do get PA for only one of them, and it is only 134.00, that is it. It is only enough to buy her a pair of shoes and a couple of outfits. I teach elementary, and I do feel the day will come that the well will run dry, and i really feel for the kids out there who have parents that depend on this little bitty money every month because it is NOTHING my people. If I didn't have this job, we would be in trouble because the welfare dept. give so little to families now. This is why the goverment provided work programs and school programs so these people can get on their feet, but hardly any of them are taking advantage of it. I do hope and pray this will never happen because I have a soft heart for children out there, and I hate seeing them suffer, even if they're not mine. So the answer to your question is "NO"! I hope this will never happen for the kid's sake.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 10:05 AM on May. 15, 2010

• I'm on food stamps right now, but S/O and I are buying a house that's got a good piece of land, and moving in together by the end of summer. At that time I'll be happy to relinquish my food stamps. But we plan on making up for it by raising a cow to eat every year. Raising meat chickens and egg laying chickens. And having a large garden.
    Pudge_Pie20

Answer by Pudge_Pie20 at 10:42 AM on May. 15, 2010

• I just got on PA, my husband left me with a huge pile of debt and 3 kids. I am working hard to better myself after being a stay at home mom, my job skills are not competetive in today's economy so I'm taking the opportunity to go to school. I can't believe the waste inside the PA system. Really, free medical. I should have to pay a small premium and I turned down the offer to add me. Twice the grocery money I used to spend for fewer people, I can't spend it all even if I tried. Quality daycare without blinking an eye. Housing, really? They pay my rent so I can do what? I spent more time "working" as a SAHM. While I appreciate being on PA so I can go to college, get a great job and never have to depend on assistance again, I think society really needs to think about holding the government more accountable for their spending instead giving handouts. People should at least volunteer time to the community, go to school or work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on May. 15, 2010

• Isn't PA temporary and aren't you supposed to dig yourself out of the hole and stop excessive dependency all by yourself? Then you won't have to worry about some day in the future when you can't get your handout?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on May. 15, 2010