A few questions about mangos.

What should I look for in a ripe mango? Also, how do I cut & serve it? I've bought a few, but they're super mushy & drippy, are they supposed to be like that?
Thanks!

StellarJKD

Asked by StellarJKD at 11:47 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Food & Drink

• where you get a mango is should look red and yellow and feel firm. they should not be mushy they should be soft but still alittle firm. I love mangos and i eat them even though I am allergic i know its a stupid thing to do but i am addicted to them. if they are green it means they aren't ripe but a litte green isn't bad
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 11:50 PM on May. 14, 2010

• oh to serve them peal it and cut around the seed
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 11:51 PM on May. 14, 2010

• they shouldnt be mushy. they should be firm.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:54 PM on May. 14, 2010

• You don't want them too firm or too soft. Look for any spots in the skin, avoid those. The redder the better, but I've had some good ones that were still mostly green. They don't always turn red as they ripen after their picked. Stand the mango up on the stem end. Cut down, slightly off-center, on the longer side, and do the same on the other side. Cut what's left off the pit and out of the skin. For the big peices, score the fruit without going through the skin. Turn inside out and cut the chunks off the skin. I do believe there's a video how-to on 5dollardinners.com, or I dare bet you could find a how-to on youtube.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on May. 15, 2010

• Buy the frozen chunks; they are always perfectly ripe, have more nutrition, and last longer.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:48 AM on May. 15, 2010

• They shouldnt be mushy thats means their bad. If you do get the ones that are not ripe yet put them in a paper brown bag for a couple of days. They will be perfect.
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 10:27 AM on May. 15, 2010

• They are good to eat as is, but if you have one that is a little bit on the over-ripe side (left overs) you can use them to make smoothies. Over ripe mangoes make a really good smoothie! Same with just about any over ripe fruit.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:13 PM on May. 15, 2010