How do I get friends for my son in a very small town when I have none myself? he is 5 and really needs a playmate

All the moms around here grew up together and are much younger then I am. My son went to PRE-K classes this school year and made some friends. I know nobody is going to bother us for visits....why should they? they have family and cousins for their kids to play with...my son has nobody within 40 miles.....so Would I be imposing to call other parents and ask for a play date? People around here aren't real friendly and kinda stand-offish...They aren't stuck up.. they are just "cold" to people they didn't grow up with

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on May. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• i would. i have done that for my son before. he just seemed so sad and kind of depressed. he is really mature for his age. he is used to talking to adults, so most of the kids his age find him a bit intimidating. i have called and asked for playdates. it seemed to help i have friends, and so does my boy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on May. 15, 2010

• make it a point to run into the other moms and meet them.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:08 AM on May. 15, 2010

• I have met others in stores and church. I am in a very small town too. Yet my daughter has too many friends. Just put yourself out there. I know it is hard. Everyone here knows each other too.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 12:15 AM on May. 15, 2010

• Do you have a MOPS? What about looking up, or starting a group on Meetup.com? Could you join something like the YMCA or maybe get him into something he enjoys so him & the child will have something in common, & now you & another mom will have something in common.. If your child gets into a sport you can become team mom & will be talking a lot with other families.. Since hes in Pre-school, what about getting into volunteering at the school, PTA, field trip mom, ect.
    Visit parks alot, if you have one close to you maybe u will live close enough to strike up a conversation & maybe a later playdate.. Memberships at zoos or something local can get you to be "a part" of the community..
    Good Luck! :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:29 AM on May. 15, 2010

• We live in a small town like that too. The people who grew up here are very cold toward the people who are move-ins. I go to a church, so I have met some people through that, but there aren't any girls my daughters' age. The way that my daughter's school is set up, kids can play on the playground after school if their parents are there. I've met several of my daughter's classmate's parents this way. So far she has had one playdate with a girl whose parents grew up her and several with a couple of girls who's parents are move-ins like us.

Are there any activities like soccer or baseball or karate type of things that he could participate in and you could get to know some parents while waiting for the game or activity to finish?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on May. 15, 2010

• I have met some of my friends(and my DS's friends) at either the Park or one I met at Department Store and trust me I am a rather shy person out in the real world but my son makes me a lot more outgoing because he is since your DS is starting school in the fall you will be also meeting more people then too. You may get ignored a few times(It's happened to me before) but take it with stride you will find someone for the both of you to hang out with.Also Mops(see if there is a local chapter in your area or surrounding towns) is a great thing to get into also.Good Luck! ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on May. 15, 2010

• Call and invite someone over.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:49 AM on May. 15, 2010