What age is a child old enough

to attend a funeral?

mommymeg03

Asked by mommymeg03 at 12:06 AM on May. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think it depends on the child and not so much the age?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on May. 15, 2010

• 4-5 imo
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:10 AM on May. 15, 2010

• I attended my Grandma's funeral when I was 3 and still remember it. It wasn't harmful to me in any way. I understood what was going on and knew she was going to Heaven.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:12 AM on May. 15, 2010

• Any age. It's never too early to learn about life and death. I think my daughters first was at 2 years old.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:20 AM on May. 15, 2010

• my son and grandson were both 3 when they had to attend a funeral....it was explained that everybody was sad and they had to be really quiet for the sad people...it was never explained that this was about a dead person....just explained the people were sad...and both boys were very good about it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on May. 15, 2010

• ask your kid if they want to go. I went to my first when I was 11 (my grandmas). I hated it. I couldn't even go into the funeral room- I cried and cried outside of the enterance while all of my relatives tried to console me. I wish I didn't have to go.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on May. 15, 2010

• Depends on the kid. I didn't go to my first funeral until I was 18 and it was still hard as heck for me (it was my grandpa and I was pretty close to him). I can see how it may be good for them to learn about the facts of life, but the kids should be ready to learn about it. My oldest is slow in development and I would probably wait a few years more than I would for my dd. It just depends on how well they would understand and how well you could describe it in a way they could understand...
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 12:55 AM on May. 15, 2010

• Depends on the child. My niece and nephew (3 and 6) went to my mom's funeral. It was important for them to say "good-bye" to their grandmother.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 1:07 AM on May. 15, 2010

• anon 9:21 I went through the same thing when my grandma died, I was the same age as you. She lived 2000 miles away and we went back for her funeral. We had the wake with the open casket, I got through it and the funeral, but when we got back to Grandmas house I had a panic attack on her couch. I was 9! I was crying and shaking all night and my parents could not console me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on May. 15, 2010

• My kids were 2 and 10 months old when my grandmother died. My paternal grandmother probably won't have more than a couple years - though given the fact that she is a bitter, judgemental, cynic borderline nut job she'll probably never die (she's 84, diabetic, and has become obese in the last 5 years) and my kids will attend that funeral. I don't remember my first funeral, my mom says I was about 3 and I actually skipped out on my great aunt and sat alone in another room with another body because no one had arrived for her memorial yet. I vaguely remember my great grandmother's funeral when I was 6. The next relative didn't die until I was 14 and I was a mess...it was my maternal grandfather and he was a veteran so the whole thing with the flag and shooting of the rifles really drove home the fact that I'd never see him again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on May. 15, 2010