Starting a one year old on soy milk?

My dd just turned one and has been lactose intolerant since birth. Now that she is one do I just replace the formula with soy milk, just like that? Or is there something else I should try first? Is it okay to replace cow milk with soy on a baby like that?

khmymommi

Asked by khmymommi at 12:08 AM on May. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if he is lactose intolerant, i would go with almond milk or rice milk. soy is really bad for you. especially in large quantities as would be the case with replacing formula with it, or with vegetarians who use soy in place of meat and milk. it contains high levels of estrogen. very bad.
    june_kitten

Answer by june_kitten at 12:12 AM on May. 15, 2010

• my son is lactose in tolerate as well... the dr told us to try him on soy milk an he just did not take it well at all... he got SUPER SUPER SUPER sick an he was only 2 weeks old... be careful with the soy since daughter has never had milk.. ever =/. we thought hed be ok to.. but we were horribly wrong :(
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 12:44 AM on May. 15, 2010

• 90% of lactose intolerant people are actually allergic to the pasteurized milk. But they have no problem drinking raw milk, which you can boil yourself. Also, 40% of the so-called lactose intolerant people have no issues consuming goats milk. read up on these two subject, also read about the difference between A1 and A2 types milk.
    cristinaberger

Answer by cristinaberger at 1:08 AM on May. 15, 2010

• Like anything else, there is good soy and bad soy. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/neal-barnard-md/settling-the-soy-controve_b_453966.html

That said, the only beverage your daughter needs is water.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:51 AM on May. 15, 2010

• My pediatrician said they aren't recommending any soy products for babies anymore bc of the estrogen found naturally in soy. Talk to your pediatrician about what they recommend. I give my dd, 1 yr goats milk. Its easier on the tummy than cow's milk.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:04 AM on May. 15, 2010

• If your baby's not on cow's milk, you're not replacing anything, you're just going from other formula to other milk like others go from milk-based formula to milk. I don't recommend soy though, especially not for a little girl. Also, are you sure she's still intolerant? 3 of my 4 couldn't be on milk-based formula but had no problem going to cows milk at a year.
    Anonymous