If you spank are you angry when you do it? (spin off)

I've wondered when a parent spanks their child are they angry and if so would that be considered abuse because you are hitting out of anger. It's something I've tried not to do. I have spanked in the past but opted out on trying to think outside the box when diciplining my children. What do you think, is it abuse? If someone knows for a fact, please enlighten me.

luvmygrlz

Asked by luvmygrlz at 2:45 AM on May. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• i am honestly just glad to see another mom post something about spanking at all without doing so anonymously. so many do becaue ther is so much judging going on, and i think its almost shameful the way a lot of moms treat eachother on here. no one should be ashamed of their induvidual parenting style, and no one should have the fear of being judged by the same people we come on here to supposedly "support" , ya know? i for one, have never posted nor answered a question without proudly displaying my name beside it, and i liked that you did the same on such a touchy subject for so many parents! mothers should never be ashamed! lol :)
    jeanniegirl82

Answer by jeanniegirl82 at 3:07 AM on May. 15, 2010

• there is not right or wrong answer to this, and it sounds like everyone wants one. the couple of times i have spanked my kid has actually been when im scared to death rather than angry. like when your child wants to try to chase a ball into the middle of the road, your first instict is to snatch his butt up and whoop it, so he darn sure remembers not to go into the road! then you give him hugs and cover him with kisses cuz youre thankful hes alive! the best thing to do when youre angry, is to tell your child to stay in their room or wherever they are at and take a breather so you can gather your thoughts. usually when you calm down you can think of a better way of handleing it. am i against spanking? no. am i for it? no. its just something that happens sometimes when situations are scary or extreme.hitting purely out of anger? no i dont think it should be done, but i suppose it does happen.
    jeanniegirl82

Answer by jeanniegirl82 at 2:57 AM on May. 15, 2010

• Jeannie I think you and I see eye to eye on this. I don't think spanking should be the first method but as you said most definitely during dangerous situations.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 3:01 AM on May. 15, 2010

• Spanking in anger can border on abuse. it's discliplline not intimidation. It is a last resort whne the child doesn't respond to other things first and it ahouls always be presented in that way. A child spanked by an angry parent only remembers the anger not the reason for the spanking.
    PattyAnn1936

Answer by PattyAnn1936 at 3:25 AM on May. 15, 2010

• One thing I know for sure is that NO parent enjoys spanking their kid but sometimes it's a necessity. I'm pretty sure all parents are irritated in some way when spanking their child. I've also spanked out of fear as the above parent mentioned and out of anger as well. However there's a big difference in spanking your child while angry. It's no longer spanking if you are angry and punching your child. I'm still scarred after witnessing something like that so I imagine the child is too
    Ronique1989

Answer by Ronique1989 at 3:41 AM on May. 15, 2010

• Nope, never when angry or frustrated.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:27 AM on May. 15, 2010

• Strangely....I could never imagine considering a cold, calculated "spanking" or beating...that scares me alot more than a quick swat when angry or upset. But, I can see that an angry person could get out of control and really hurt the child. Then again. somenone who has been planning it all day must have some serious issues in my book! I don't like spanking, really, but I am human and I have done it. More like a quick swat, and yes, I know the fear response that was mentioned earlier! I have also yelled at my kids and have, on occasion, said something I have regretted. Again, I am human!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:46 AM on May. 15, 2010

• I spank after 1 warning. I am mad because she won't listen who wouldn't be mad. Woul you spank your kid and be happy about it? No way. I am mad but she knows I am opnly mad because I love her and care about how she acts!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 11:28 AM on May. 15, 2010

• ONLY*
    delilahsmom1177

• Most parents on here claim they don't spank in anger, but that's a bunch of bull. MOST parents spank in anger. They can deny it all they want, but that's statistically the truth.
    Anonymous