Belly Aches Please Help

so i have a 6 week old baby. he is hard to burp and even if you get him to burp 90% of the time he will get a belly ache. he is breastfed. so can anyine help its 5:18am and i have been up since 3!!!!

BetsyBoop2003

Asked by BetsyBoop2003 at 5:18 AM on May. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would start by monitoring what you are eating. If you are eating gassy foods it will affect your baby. Mylocyn (sp) drops help. My grandma swears that giving gassy babies chamomile and pepperment tea (diluted) helps...That is if you can get them to drink it...
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 8:39 AM on May. 15, 2010

• Are you sure its a belly ache? 6 weeks is a major growth spurt. They crying could be not wanting to be interrupted from the consta-latch. So unless the baby is fussy and wants to burp, don't interrupt the feed. If it is a belly ache, do you know if you have a forceful let down? If so you can try catching the overflow in a towel until it subsides and then relatch the baby. Breastfed babies can be gassy but they don't tend to gulp a lot of air usuually.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:54 AM on May. 15, 2010

• I tried to be super mom for the first 2 months of son's life because I didn't want to give him medicines yet. He was so gassy all the time despite what I ate. I finally gave in and gave him Mylicon and it changed my life. He went from this miserable crying baby to a content and happy one.
    bootsky

Answer by bootsky at 11:43 AM on May. 15, 2010

• how do you know its his belly?

breastfed babies also don't need to burp as often as formula fed babies, mine barely ever burped. try putting baby in the 'sitting' position and gently patting the back, over the shoulder never worked for me.

if you think its gas, try the superman hold.

sounds like you're up at night because its a baby. congrats.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:59 AM on May. 15, 2010

• so he ended up havin acid reflux he is a wonderful baby now
    BetsyBoop2003

Answer by BetsyBoop2003 at 12:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2010