Do you allow your child to have candy?

Amanda is on a candy kick lately, trying to get her to eat fruit instead. We were good about not giving sugar when she was little, but now it's so hard. We go to 7-11 and she wants candy and I don't want a scene in the store. Suggestions?

jekr433

Asked by jekr433 at 6:51 AM on May. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• why'd you introduce candy in the first place? imo it tastes aweful
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 6:57 AM on May. 15, 2010

• Don't go to 7-11? In stores like that it's practically impossible to avoid the candy question because it's all around the register area. Try going to a store with candy-free registers instead. If you do need to go to one with candy then tell her before you go in whether it's OK to ask or not. Allow her to pick some candy once in a while as a little treat. If they know they can have it sometimes then they're less likely to whine the times they don't get it. I do that with my son when we go to Target. Sometimes he's allowed a small treat from the snack bar like animal cookies and a juice box but not if we're just nipping in for a couple of things. He'll ask but a simple "not today babe" will suffice. If he whines about being hungry I just tell him that we're buying bananas or bagels or some other car-friendly snack and he can have some on the way home.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 7:19 AM on May. 15, 2010

• my solution is the welch's fruit snacks. Looks like candy but is made from fruit juice. HTH I know they sell them at 7-11, I've gotten them there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on May. 15, 2010

• I don't give my daughter candy. She doesn't need it. SHe loves fruit. Tell her NO or you better get used to the dentist! lol
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 9:56 AM on May. 15, 2010

• Tell her before you go in the store that she won't be getting any candy, make sure she knows what you expect of her at all times. That always worked with Kiwi, she doesn't hardly even ask anymore, and when she does it's usually for gum, which we get in the sugar free kind. We let her have candy, chocolate, all the yummy stuff, but it's just a small part of her diet, she eats more fruit than anything. If you totally ban it, cut it out completely, then candy/sugar will just become the greatest thing in her eyes since there must be something good to it since mom won't let her have any. :-) If you do decide to give her some from the 7-11, offer it to her before she asks, and tell her that she got it for not hounding you for it, and the more she goes without begging for it and causing a scene, the more you'll surprise her with it. Don't let on your fear of scenes, she'll just play off of that. My sister does (9) and gets her way.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:25 AM on May. 15, 2010

• Mine doesn't get candy. She doesn't like that junk. She won't even eat cake and ice cream. I give fruit instead.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:26 AM on May. 15, 2010

• My kids get candy occasionally, it's not a regular part of their diet and they know it's not a healthy choice. With the exception the my 2 year old who is learning. We had a melt down in a store the other day, she wanted chocolate while we were in the check out and I told her no. She freaked out. I just ignore that behaviour and try to get her out of the situation as quickly as possible. Sure it sucks for other's to have to hear my dd freaking out, one of the reason's I try to get her out of there. I can't stop going to places that cleverly put candy at eye level of children, we do need groceries! lol Just be patient and firm with her, she'll get it. Once we were in the parking lot after her freak out I told her, mommy said no chocolate and that it's not nice to scream like that. Did she get it, probably not, will she one day, absolutely! Seemed to have worked for my 5 and 4 years olds. Just be firm and patient.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:29 AM on May. 15, 2010

• Let your child get upset in the store when you won't buy her candy. Let her cry and do whatever she has to to let her feelings out. Just be presence and ready to give her a hug when she has calmed down. Don't judge her. By all means take her to the side or out of the store so she can process her feelings but don't add to the drama - just let her get it out.

Forget about what others think - the more your child has an opportunity and is given the ok by you to express herself the less "tantrums" will happen and the more just a little cry and hug will occur.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on May. 15, 2010

• Do not give in just to avoid a scene. Honestly, I would rather see a screaming child BECAUSE the parents are doing their job rather then a spoiled one. And who cares if others give you the stink eye... just smile politely, and continue to know that you are doing what's best for your child.

1. Tell her what to expect when you go to the store: No candy. If you ask, the answer will be no. If you start to cry/scream, the answer will still be no, and others will think that you are being a bad girl.

2. When it happens, calmly tell her, "I am so sorry you are upset. Unfortunately we we will not be getting candy. If you would like (whatever), I would be happy to get it for you if you ask like a big girl."

3. DO NOT change your mind. DO NOT give in. DO NOT loose your cool. Do not give her the alternative item if she cannot calm down and ask correctly. You are telling her: These are my standards. Next time it will be easier. :)
    squish

Answer by squish at 12:30 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I haven't given my 4 and 2 year old candy, so they don't know they want it when they see it, lol. I've always given them fruit.

I think you'll just have to deal with the scene a few times to let her know you wont give in to her making a scene..or tell her before you go in the store that she isn't getting any candy and if she asks for it or makes a scene (fill in the blank) is going to happen - can't go to the park, can't watch tv, toys taken away, a time out, a spanking - whatever you do. And then if she does make a scene, follow through with the punishment.

.Eveningstar.

Answer by .Eveningstar. at 12:49 PM on May. 15, 2010