Welfare recipients going to college while the lower middle class is struggling?

There is a segment of the US population that make $100+ too much to qualify for welfare. They can't afford college tuition. We watch and listen to welfare recipients brag about getting to goto college, getting daycare assitance. And we are frustrated. Should we hope that our jobs are laid off and we qualify for assistance? Or do we work are asses off while people on public assistance brag about getting to get a degree while collecting PA? What is the right thing? Being moral? selfish?
How many others are barely paying the bills? Don't qualify for public assistance? How many are stuck in a dead end job with little chance of educational opportunities. We make $150.00/mo. too much to qualify for Pell Grants, too much for subsidized aid, and dont' have co-signers for unsubsidized aid. The college loan/assistance system makes it harder for the middle class, but easier for those on PA. Anyone else feel the pain?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:03 AM on May. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• What gets me is that some of them go to college and get a certificate or degree and then just continue to sit on their asses and don't actually use their education that the rest of us paid for to get themselves off welfare! That is a huge slap in the face! I'd love to go to college right now, but like many of the rest of you we make too much money but can't afford the tuition. It frosts my cubes that people get rewarded for not trying and it all gets put on the backs of the middle class. Yes, I understand that there are a few who actually climb out of the public assistance merry-go-round and better themselves, but those people are few and far between. There should be a limit on welfare, if you get a degree then afterwards you can only recieve welfare for one more year then that's it.
    azhlynne

Answer by azhlynne at 8:10 AM on May. 15, 2010

• When I tried going to tech school I couldn't get help because my grades were not great in high school and my dad made too much money. But he couldn't afford to help me either. So I paid my own way. My first semester was basic classes and I got in them fine. My second semester was supposed to start the more technical classes. When I went to the counselor to make my class schedule she told me that I couldn't take any of the required classes because there was a 5 year wait due to the fact that they HAD to place all the welfare recipients in the class first. Then IF there was room they could place paying students. In the mean time she said I could continue to take other core classes "just for fun". If i had known this I would have never gone to that school. I left that day and never went back.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:20 AM on May. 15, 2010

• Yep, It's nuts and its been this way for years. When our oldest wanted to go to college, she looked and looked for scholarships to apply for, but in the field she wanted to study, there were very very few and those were designated for minorities of one kind or another. She lived at home so she couldn't get a Pell Grant, she couldn't get a loan because due to the fact, I'd lost my job we were unable to co-sign for her. She couldn't get Financial Aide because we, her parents, had made a few dollars too much the PREVIOUS year. She got her own apt and a job so she could get some kind of college aide but after a year, she was forced to drop out due to the fact that with her job, she simply could not keep up with the work load. On the other hand, she saw kid's with not so great grades, getting full scholarships because they were atheletes, etc and since she knew a few of them quite well, she also knew that their parents could (cont
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 7:21 AM on May. 15, 2010

• It seems you get rewarded for not working or not even trying to find employment. There are lots of middle class hard working people who are getting tired of never being able to get anything, no breaks, no help. I have heard several times from several welfare people "it does not pay for me to work, then they reduce my financial help". The system is just unfair.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:23 AM on May. 15, 2010

• Just another prime example of how ridiculous the welfare system is being used. I really wonder what happens once the welfare runs out. For once take the money and help the ones who are struggling from day to day and who make an attempt to get up everyday and work. You would think welfare would have incintives to help people attempt to get up and get out and find a job, but instead it promotes staying home and not working.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:28 AM on May. 15, 2010

• easily have paid out of hand for the kid to attend college. The college she attended did offer a scholarship which she applied for....the kid who got it....well...his parents paid for him to have an apt near the school, he drove a new car which was paid for, he never had less than 200.00 in his pocket at any time and thought nothing of getting permanent paint stains on 200.00 jeans. He was known to have quite the party life at his apt. She heard later, that his parents knew someone on the scholarship committee, which didnt' suprise me a bit. She was upset about that because she said another girl that had applied was a single mom who really could have used it and was very deserving. I've said for years that they should make the rules for scholarships the same as those for Financial Aide...if your parents made a few dollars over a certain amount the PREVIOUS year, you can't apply for it. (cont)
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 7:31 AM on May. 15, 2010

• I think the system is designed to make one not want to work. Where are our incentives for the ones who work everyday and struggle to make ends meet? We would not be asking for much just a little help. I think people are getting tired of the free handouts to ones who never even make an attempt to get out and work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:34 AM on May. 15, 2010

• Over time I've seen far too many students who really wanted to go to college and who would have done great, not go because they simply could not afford it and were unable to get Financial Aide, etc. It has seemed for years, that one has to either be dirt poor, an athelete or know the right person. Being middle class is just that....make too much for that help and not enough for anything else. It's really sad. (sorry so long)
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 7:36 AM on May. 15, 2010

• I'm not going to apologize for taking advantage of a bad situation. I have no marketable skills and even though I have worked from the time I was 16 I'm now out of a job with a family to support. Neither my husband nor I can find work so we are gathering up all the grants and scholarships we can to go to college and better ourselves. Perhaps when this whole mess is over we will be able to find jobs that pay more than minimum wage, or not have to work 60 and 70 hour weeks.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:49 AM on May. 15, 2010

• See this is whats wrong with this country? People love to accuse welfare recipients of not taking personal responsibility for themselves. Well how are you being responsible for yourself OP, if you keep BLAMING welfare recipients? Why isn't it YOUR fault that your not able to have everything you want in life? Its time for you and others like you who love to point fingers and whine about how you cant make it to STFU. Maybe you would get somewhere if you weren't so stuck on what is going on in someone else's life. Take some personal responsibility.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on May. 15, 2010