Too much TV...

I'm trying to keep the TV off and play music for my 2 year old. I know the effects of too much TV. How do you do it? SHe watchs Sesame street, Wonder pets and the Backyardigans on occasion.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on May. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• Don't just make a drastic change on how much tv she watches..... Do it slowly ... each day minimize the time a day that she watches tv...
    iliana90

Answer by iliana90 at 9:37 AM on May. 15, 2010

• I see no problem with kids watching educational shows.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 9:36 AM on May. 15, 2010

• TMJ121099 I see your point to an extent but did you know that when kids are in front of the TV all day they become complacent learners? Research proves this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on May. 15, 2010

• I never said ALL DAY!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 9:42 AM on May. 15, 2010

• I worry about electromagnetic fields as much as I worry about them watching too much tv so I think turning it off (and unplugging it) is a healthy thing to do. Moderation is the key in anything. Let her watch a few programs that she likes then turn it off and play with her or take her outside for a walk. So many moms use tv as a baby sitter. That's the part that bothers me the most.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on May. 15, 2010

• It doesn't sound like your daughter watches a lot of tv. Tv in moderation is fine. My boys watch 2 to 3 shows a day and usually not in a row. Mainly when I am nursing if they are running around like banshees at the time the tv goes on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on May. 15, 2010

• Sometimes my DD watches a few hours of TV she's 2 1/2. She watches it when I have other things to do. Like this morning I was on the phone with my father for the first time in quite some time! She watched Umi Zumi and Kai-lan. My DD is learning math and Chineseculture and language. One of those things I can not teach her. Chinese of course and she likes learning math on Umi Zumi. When I try she just won't pay attention so I put that on. My DD is not even close to kindergarden and she can do some basic math. I.E 1+1 2+2 things like that. I do not see why TV is soo bad. My brother watched a lot TV and has an I.Q of 150 and never had any problems.

delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 11:41 AM on May. 15, 2010

• We don't own one. I would think covering the TV up or unplugging it would help. I don't think that this is being too abrupt either as I don't really think kids become attached to the TV - I think if its "broken" (unplugged) or covered up they will just distract or get interested in something else.

I would probably get a TV cupboard and keep it closed during the day and keep the TV unplugged. Then if you want or don't mind let your kid watch some tv in the evening before bed.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 11:44 AM on May. 15, 2010

• On occasion doesn't sound like she's getting "too much tv". Lighten up.
    Anonymous

• Educational shows are a good thing. You can sit with her, and play along, sing along with her, and the program.
    Sunshine007775

Answer by Sunshine007775 at 3:10 PM on May. 15, 2010