IUGR at 24 1/2 weeks with low fluid

I will try to make this as short as possible. At my 21 week anatomy check they saw my baby girls head was measuring small at 3 % or 2 weeks behind the rest of her body. They told me she probably has Microcephaly, and to come back in 3 weeks to see if the head grew, stayed the same or got smaller. So this past tuesday I went back ( I was now 24 1/2 weeks) and the head grew but not by much still in the 3% but also her stomach dropped down to 3% as well (was 35-40% 3 weeks prior). They were then telling me they think she has IUGR interuterine growth restriction, and told me I was going to have to be monitored very closely and to come back in 2 weeks. Two days after the ultrasound my doctor calls me and tells me when I come in on wed. he wants me to have a ultrasound to check my fluid, I guess it was low. Has this happened to someone earlier in pregnacy? I am worried that she will have to be delievered early.anyone have advic

mommareed

Asked by mommareed at 10:10 AM on May. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Hi Momma:
    I worked in high risk OB about 20 years ago, so take what I say with the knowledge that things have probably changed a lot. If they decide to deliver your daughter early, it would be because they believe that she would be better out than in....usually, that is not true....usually "nature" is the best way. I can not think of any reason that they would want to deliver early. Even if your fluid is low, they would do more testing, (non stress or stress tests, not as bad as it sounds) to check the baby's heart rate. As long as those are normal, I don't think you need to worry about early delivery.
    Friend me if you'd like and I'll chat with you and try to help find out more info for you.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 11:04 AM on May. 15, 2010

• I had low fluids around 32 weeks or so. My OB put me on bedrest after about two weeks of no change- we managed to hold off until 38 weeks, then I was induced for the fluid levels and two weeks of unproductive labor- there was barely anything when they broke my water. My levels dropped to less than half a percent above 5% around 36 weeks, then by 38 were up to about 8 %. If your levels drop to or below 5% there is a good chance they will want to induce. They will probably do u/s every week to two weeks to check growth and fluids, and there is a good chance they will try bedrest. If they think you will need induction before 35/36 weeks, they will give steroids to help with the baby's lung development. There is also a procedure in which they add more fluids until it is safe to deliver, but I never had to consider that. My daughter is fine; her growth measurements were good by the time they induced. CONT
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:27 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I actually carried smaller than they wanted me to, which is how they found the low fluids. My measurements basically stopped at 32-34 inches top to bottom, so the ob did the u/s to check dd's growth- they measured my fluids at around 6 % and the next few months was lots of u/s and not being able to pee when I wanted to lol. They will likely also do non-stress tests to check the baby's heart and all; I had those every time I had an u/s. They probably won't do a stress test, just because they won't want to give your body any crazy ideas about labor and contractions with you not being that close to the end. Generally, though, low fluids are pretty easy to handle, and if your fluids can come back up chances are the growth will come back up too. Low fluids are a common cause for IUGR, which is probably why he wants to check.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:34 PM on May. 15, 2010