why does the government let this happen?

I was behind this man at the grocery; he had a case of beer and paid in cash. he than paid for 2 water and a soda with foodstamp. WTF! that is what wrong with the system.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on May. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Snoopy little biotch, aren't ya!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on May. 15, 2010

• Look on the bright side, at least he couldnt pay for his beer with food stamps, wouldnt that be a kick in the teeth!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on May. 15, 2010

• Get over it. Things aren't going to change. Nobody likes a whiny complainer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on May. 15, 2010

• At the same time, his resources are obviously limited enough that he would financially qualify for food stamps. In theory, after paying his bills, if he had an extra ten bucks left over for the month, don't you think he has a right to buy himself a case of beer on occasion? I only comment on this because I do qualify for food stamps because my family makes close to minimum wage. I don't go on vacation because I can't afford it, I don't drive long distances because I can't afford it, I don't get my hair done because I can't afford it... but I will have the occasional beer after a long day! Does that make me a sinner.... in some people's eyes, yes. That man had a right to choose how to spend whatever available funds he might have had. And how do you know that the food card was his? Could have been his sister's, his friend's, etc. I'm not saying you're opinion is wrong. I am just saying, why publicly comment at all???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on May. 15, 2010

• And yesterday my best friend bought 3 bottles of juice and a Sprite with her fs card for her children and a single beer for her herself with cash. She's a divorced mom w/5 children and she goes to school full time. She goes to school and she comes home and cares for her children so she makes/sells bath oils and soaps for extra money. 1 of her children goes to daycare full time, 2 go to daycare after school. She pays $80 a week herself for their daycare costs (w/her own money). She cannot afford to work a regular job after school and pay for a sitter for her children. Her older sons are 14 and 17 and they watch the little ones (4, 7 and 10) here and there but she wants them to be social teens without the burden of constant care for their little siblings. So, she goes to school until 3-6 9and she goes in the summer too) and she comes home, cares for her family and in is in bed by 9p. She has earned a beer if she wants one.
    Anonymous

• The problem with the government, is THE PEOPLE ELECT the representatives who CONTINUE TO EXPAND the benefits and "lower the bar" as to who receive food subsidies and what they are allowed to purchase with them.

I think food stamps should be like WIC and ONLY be used to provide nutritious ESSENTIALS--soda, candy and chips is not one of them! You'd think that Michelle Obama, since she's on a crusade to help all overweight children, would make this one of her first orders!

Maybe she should spearhead a program that teaches FS recipients HOW to prepare CHEAP and HEALTHY meals. OR, how about heavily fining fast food establishments and makers of junk food, so the consumer prices would skyrocket, and less people would be able to afford to buy the foods that are making them fat?! Since parents are incapable of telling their children "no" to junk food, our Nanny government should step in, and lessen the choices available! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:26 PM on May. 15, 2010

• If he can afford beer, he can afford food. He shouldn't be getting food stamps.
    Anonymous

• Happens more ofteh then you think. A lot of people abuse the system. When I was a cashier. I would have people come through being all sorts of crap (candy, soda donuts) with their food stamps then they'll but a carton of ciggs and beer with their cash or bank card. Or they'll pull money out of the cash side of the food stamps and use that to buy the ciggs. I hate when people abuse the system when theres actually needy people out theer that need that food that cant get food stamps because the state is out of funds.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:30 PM on May. 15, 2010

• i SEE YOUR OPINION ON THE SUBJECT BUT YOU CAN NOT JUDGE EVERYONES CIRCUMTANCES AND ASSUMME THAT THEY ARE ALL THE SAME . HE JUST MIGHT HAVE WANTED A BEER AND WHOES NOWS HE MIGHT HAVE BEEN GIVEN THE MONEY TO BUY THE BEER FROM SOMEONE JUST BECAUSE YOU RECEIVE FOODSTAMPS ETC....DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE NOT ALOUD TO HAVE A BEER. SO PEOPLE WHO HAVE BETTER CIRCUMTANCES LIKE YOU ONLY ALOUD TO BUY BEER
    ladybug0614

Answer by ladybug0614 at 1:48 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I wanna know how the hell you knew he was using FS...I hear this crap on here day in, and day out. I mind my own business at the store. I NEVER pay attention to the people in front of me, or care what they are buying, or how they are paying.
    EternalDreams

Answer by EternalDreams at 2:15 PM on May. 15, 2010