Sippy Cup Help

When did you start your child on sippy cups? How long did it take for them to start drinking from them? And what brand/kind did you use?

When I show DD her sippy cup, she giggles and crawls off..if I show her the bottle, she drinks it. She will be 1 in about two weeks.

NOLAmommaKRYS

Asked by NOLAmommaKRYS at 11:39 AM on May. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• get her a sippy cup with a straw and handles

http://nuby.com/en/nuby/cups-spouts/9803

this was the only kind my dd would drink from, now she drinks from them all..
    good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on May. 15, 2010

• i gave my 6 month old a playtex sippy cup with handles last night. she loved it until liquid came out of it when she sucked. she is ebf so shes not used to cups or bottles.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on May. 15, 2010

• We started around 5 months, to get them used to it. One of my kids self-weaned off the bottle at 9 months. I started my first with the hard-spout nuby, the middle 2 with the soft-spout nuby, and my youngest with the Nuk sippy. They all took a wide variety of them though, they weren't picky about sippies.
    Anonymous

• i started mt ds on one of the gerber kind with handles and a kinda soft spout and it took him about a month before he'd drink out of it he's 9 months now...the nuby kind leak
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:40 PM on May. 15, 2010

• tommee tippee has one that's rated for 4 months and up, the rest of the brands start at 6 months. it all depends on the baby. each baby will choose the one that they like the best just like they do with bottles.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:30 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Mine also likes the nuby one with straw and handles. You can also go right to a regular cup!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:23 PM on May. 15, 2010

• When mine started sitting in a high chair and eating food- we introduced a sippy. Around 6-7 months... We established a rule, though, no playing around or running around. We eat and drink while sitting at the table.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 9:48 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I like the nuby, you can see some sippy cups under the Feeding Sets/Bowls/Spoons/Forks/Cups here  http://www.cjkidz.com/babyresourcepage.html

momjs

Answer by momjs at 9:54 PM on May. 15, 2010

• If a baby is formula fed they should be bottle fed for at least 12 months, they should not be weaned from the bottle for any reason. Babies need to suck. Some sippy cups are better than others for jaw, face and speech development. If your baby is going to use one a lot you need to do your research.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:44 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Gailll: She is going to be one in like two weeks, but it doesn't hurt to introduce her to it - lighten up geez.

Everyone else: Thanks for the tips .. I even got her an Elmo sippy cup, but she realized it's more interesting to hit it on the table really hard - lol. Silly baby.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 11:45 AM on May. 16, 2010