acid reflux caused by pregnancy?

i'm 30 weeks pregnant and for most of my pregnancy i've had pretty bad acid reflux. the stomach acid would hit my throat and it would burn like hell but this would only happen at night but now it seems like it happens after everything i eat and my throat is constantly burning. did anyone else experience awful acid reflux and did it go away when the baby was out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on May. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had it bad when I was stressed while pregnant. Like really stressed. As soon as the stress went away, it went away. But I know there are women who have it all throughout and just pop Tums like Pez.
    Anonymous

• sweetie, you can take OTC reflux meds! please please google the info on it, because a zantac will save ya. the reflux is because the baby is shoving your stomach up and there for the acids come up. make sure you stay upright after eating for at least 30 mins, and no more than the recommended tums per day because they contain other meds that you need to limit. it will go away immediately when baby comes, but please dont suffer. buy some meds, I promise baby will be fine...
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:10 PM on May. 15, 2010

• YES YES YES. Oh my heck the 9 months of burning was worse than labor :)
    I had acid reflux from the get go with my son. I talked to my OB about it and she said it was because the hormones that make your hips and everything else loosen up also makes the sphincter in the esophogaus loosen up. I popped Tums like they were M&Ms. My cousin did the same but ended up with Kidney stones. Her dr. said it was from all the calcium she was ingesting from the Tums. So be careful :)
    bootsky

Answer by bootsky at 12:14 PM on May. 15, 2010

• don't bother with tums! the amount you'll need to provide relief will cause other problems! take zantac instead! it comes in 75mg or 150mg and you can pretty much take it as needed and you'll be fine. feel better!
    flaggot13

Answer by flaggot13 at 12:29 PM on May. 15, 2010

• i took zantac
    tums, and everything else didnt help
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:34 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I feel your pain!!! I had horrendous heartburn when I was pregnant both times, but it was worse when I was pregnant with my second. I lived off of Tums. I didn't get relief until the baby dropped. Hang in there!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 1:08 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I didn't have heartburn at all during my first pregnancy, then had horrible heartburn during my second pregnancy. I went through several bottles of Tums and was so uncomfortable! It went away as soon as he was born.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:25 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I had heartburn at the end with both of my pregnancies. My dr told me to take zantac 75 mg - one pill in the morning and one pill in the evening. Worked great!
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 2:46 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Yes! It ended almost immediately as soon as I gave birth. Tums are good, and milk helps occasionally (as a base, it neutralizes any acid in your stomach). Avoid spicy and acidic foods, and if you can prop yourself up at night (I slept on the couch the last 2-3 months of my pregnancy), laying in a prone position increases heartburn. Mine was so bad I was throwing up at least twice/day. I ended up going through several different medications - the only one that finally worked a little was nexium. I'm 30 weeks with my 5th and still throw up a couple of times/week due to heartburn, but it's much better!

Answer by missanc at 5:29 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I'm 31 wks pregnant and have to take nexium bc it is so bad! I was so incredibly sick from about 5 wks into this pregnancy that I was on zofran. About 21 wks in they figured it out that it wasn't morning sickness but acid reflux!
    prettylilrae

Answer by prettylilrae at 7:31 PM on May. 15, 2010