Bad parenting??

I was talking to a on old friend and she told me that her five year old had to go to the dentist and be put under because he had SIX cavaities! I blame her and her husband 100% for that. There is no excuse for a child that young to have that many cavities. Its crazy. I just didn't even know what to say when she told me that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on May. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• How do you know what goes on in their house? You don't. There are tons of reasons teeth go bad.
    Anonymous

• ummm its sounds like you need not to judge. some children have a predisposition to tooth decay.hereditary factors as well. I think unless you are in her house in her shoes and can see all she does....dont judge her. maybe next week yuou will have an issue with one of your kids and pray no one judges YOU for it.
    Anonymous

• Some people just have bad teeth - no matter how good they take care of them there are problems that can't be helped. Do not judge, lest ye be judged. When something bad happens to one of your kids don't be surprised if they say the same thing about you.
    Anonymous

• If you think your parenting is so perfect, not to be blamed for anything as simple as cavities, then be proud. Don't hide behind the anonymous button. I brush Kiwi's teeth twice a day, she brushes them herself three other times, and she has cavities. When she gets clearance from her cardiologist to be put under, she will, and have them taken care of. Even limiting sugar and diligent brushing, an child can get cavities. Don't judge.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:20 PM on May. 15, 2010

• wow
    i had 2 root canals at 5 and 5 cavaties all at once

i have weak enamel to this day
    some kids just have bad genes, like me, my dad has the same issue

i wasnt even allowed to eat candy but on holidays and i brushed my teeth three times daily and still had 2 root canals and 5 cavaties at 5years old.

your not the childs dentist so you dont really know why she has so many cavaties, so i dont know why your jumping to judging someones parenting...could just be genes like me
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:23 PM on May. 15, 2010

• so I guess that makes me a bad parent then, our 3 1/2 yr old has 5 cavities. (btw we brush atleast once a day too!)
    Anonymous

• My son is twelve years old and when he was ten he needed three back teeth removed, not because he didnt go to the dentist but because when he was a baby, he was on a lot of meds for ear infections. The dentist explained that when a child is on different types of meds for anything, this often happens as they get older. And my son goes to the dentist. However maybe they dont bring their child to the dentist, but I dont think its to judge, but that is pretty sad that she has that many and has to be put under. I really do hope its not because they were neglecting to take care of her teeth. But I dont know.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 1:04 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Some kids have weak teeth. Just ask my SO. Don't assume unless you know the facts.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 1:23 PM on May. 15, 2010

• As a former dental assistant I can tell you that a child having cavitites has NOTHING to do with 'bad parenting'! It could be the child is not brushing well, or the child is more prone to decay/cavitites. So stop being a judgemental idiot op!
    Anonymous

• LOL! For years, my ds would have anywhere from 1 - 4 cavities a trip. My dd, who is only 15 months younger - has had 1 cavity in her live (he's 17, and she's 16, to put the whole "only one" in perspective).

I assisted / supervised them the same. They had the same eating habits, with the same foods offered. They got the same dental care - in fact, their appts were usually "back to back" with the dentist to make it easy to schedule.

The thing is though, as far as susceptibility to cavities, our ds got my dh's teeth (he's had a lot of dental work) and our dd got mine (no cavities here, except 1 in a wisdom tooth they had to pull anyway - that's the only dental work other than cleaning I've had). She is getting braces that he doesn't need though...

Now, on the other hand, I'm blind as a bat and my dh has great vision. We used to joke that we wished they got my teeth and his eyes, instead, it's the other way around.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:46 PM on May. 15, 2010