23month old not talking..

she will be 2 in june and she can say words but she will only say them once or twice and never say them again. she only bables all day.she sings and dances. but she isnt talking like she should,when should i get concerned..she was early walking at 7months and early sitting at 3 months,so i gess it makes up for it...i read to her and talk to her and explain things to her as im doing them. she understands everything u say to her and does what ever u ask her to.so i know she understands me.

angelairelan

Asked by angelairelan at 12:10 PM on May. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is the same way. early sitting, early walking, but very very late talking. At her 2 yr check up on the 3rd. he said for now she's fine because she does babble and she does say words on occasion. she just might not be much of a talker till she finds her "Voice"
    Xandriasmommy

Answer by Xandriasmommy at 10:42 PM on May. 15, 2010

• why do you think babbling isnt talking? here is a guidline: at 2 people whould be able to understand 50% of what she says, at 3 its 75%. they wont test or do anytype of speech until she is at least 3. I really would just encourage her to talk by making games out of it. try not to worry too much, at that age she sounds fine.My friends ds is in speech and thats where the info comes from. i have a 1 yr old and was concerned too, so I asked the speech therapist while there one day and then asked his ped too. both said the same thing. just keep talking to her, she will get it. :)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:13 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Not every child is the same so the guidelines that some would have you go by are worthless. My son's first doctor deemed him ready for speech therapy at 18 months because he only said mommy and daddy. He didn't really start talking until 3 years. There is nothing wrong with him and probably nothing wrong with your daughter. If she is understanding what you are saying now, she is normal. Give her time.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:20 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I agree with the above answers......my DD was 2 and my PEDI. told me she was prob going to need speech therapy because she didn't talk "enough" to meet the guidelines. Now she is 3 and she talks up a storm so your child is not even 2 yet. Give it time and just keep doing what you are doing...books, singing songs, and tell her what you are doing like they are going to answer you back....it will all come in due time!!! Good Luck!! :)
    MayMommy07

Answer by MayMommy07 at 12:27 PM on May. 15, 2010

• My son does the same thing. But his doctors aren't concerned cuz he does babble and basically has his own language. I wouldn't worry about it yet.
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 12:28 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Well she may not be able to recite the Gettysburg Address, but she will get better. She's only two. She will pick it up and get better. Don't be so discouraged.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 12:37 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I had the same concerns when my daughter was a toddler. When I asked her pediatrician, he told me I'll spend 2 years trying to get her to walk and talk, and 16 years trying to get her to sit down and shut up. He was absolutely correct. :D

She's about to finish up her junior year in high school, she's a straight A student, working a part time job, and also in culinary school. Try to be patient; they master tasks at their own speeds, and it usually doesn't mean much when they seem to be developmentally delayed. If she still isn't talking by 3, talk to your pediatrician about it. Chances are, you'll be desperately trying to get her to shut up when she's 3, tho. :)
    bluejupalex

Answer by bluejupalex at 2:01 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Id say she is talking maybe your not understanding it. Each child is different my niece is 3 and she dosent talk much some kids just dont talk allot. My daughter is the same age and wont be quiet all day and night talk talk talk, just keep engaging with her and one thing that I feel helps is dont baby talk. My son is almost 2 and he dosent say much but he watches everything so I myself am enjoying the silence.

raurismomma07

Answer by raurismomma07 at 2:56 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I would have her evaluated by early intervention, just to be on the safe side. She may be fine and catch up on her own - but what is she's not and won't, you would be losing valuable time by waiting!

Answer by missanc at 5:36 PM on May. 15, 2010