Did you know there are scholarships available for non-traditional students?

This is a spin-off from an earlier post. The OP was upset about some people getting PELL grants to go to college while she earned just a little too much. She said that her GPA in high school wasn't high enough to qualify for scholarships due to her circumstances at the time.

Not all scholarships are based on academic performance. Some are based on financial need, and some are specifically geared toward groups like students who have been out of high school more than 5 years, single moms, people who come from families that never had a college graduate, etc.

You can talk to a college's financial aid office about referrals for scholarships. All of the scholarships I have received have come from those referrals. I recommend starting at a community college the first two years. You can bring up your GPA enough to get into a university afterward. (continued)

Iamgr8teful

Asked by Iamgr8teful at 12:38 PM on May. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Good posts. It isn't easy and it is expensive but getting a college degree is so necessary. That is what I told my kidsand they all have 4 year degrees--one has an MBA. They had lots of student loans and also worked while in school but they did it.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 4:52 PM on May. 15, 2010

• (continued) I can understand the frustration of making just a little too much to qualify for aid. I have been there. I have just seen way too many people make excuse after excuse about why they are victims and it is everybody else's fault. Just so you know, I have been homeless. I worked my way up from that to being a homeowner and a wife and mother. My husband works but makes very little. I am one semester away from graduating as a Registered Nurse. My younger brother got Cs and Ds all through school, but then earned As and Bs in college because he applied himself. It's not all about academic ability. Drive has a lot to do with it. We grew up in an alcoholic home that was very dysfunctional for a while, so it hasn't been a bed of roses for me my whole life, either.

Please don't be so quick to condemn those who are trying to improve their lives.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:41 PM on May. 15, 2010

• i knew someone that got a scholarship for being a non smoker!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:45 PM on May. 15, 2010